PC crashes when I install wd ext hard drive?

Closed
tw - Apr 15, 2010 at 03:40 AM
 Mitchell - Apr 26, 2010 at 09:53 AM
Hi

Have just bought a Western Drive My Book Essential 1000 GB external hard drive.

Trying to install it on my pc but the pc crashes and goes to a blue screen headed bad_pool_header

technical info on the blue screen: STOP 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xFE42BB60, 0xFE42BB78, 0x1A030001)

PC memory is pretty full of music and picture files so might be that there's not enough grunt left to install the hard drive?

The pc tries to install the software automatically and that's when it crashes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Related:

3 responses

simn2703 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday April 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 15, 2010 3
Apr 15, 2010 at 04:11 AM
if your hard drive of the computer is a segate baracudda take it back to the shop and they will have to replace it.this happened to me and they said that this model of seagate hard drives are vaulty.=O!
my computer is a dell dimension 3000, running windows xp home edition. Couldn't see any labels indicating a different brand hard drive on the pc. Thanks though.
Have hopefully solved the problem - it seems Western Digital external hard drives are not compatible with SONIC CD and DVD burning software. I have uninstalled the Sonic files and the WD drive has loaded fine.
I would like to expand the question. I am another user with nearly the same problem.

The Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1TB external drive I bought locks up my systems when I connect them. Western Digital claims compatibility with Windows 2000 and XP on the box.

computer #1 is running a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and with Western Digital - Large Drive Enable installed on a MicronPC Millennia with a 1.6GHz AMD athlon (-7 I think) w/512MB of RAM. This PC is stand alone - it is not on the internet nor any other network.

computer #2 is running a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Compaq Presario 6000 with a comparable speed Intel P4 and w/512MB RAM.

Both computers have only USB 1.0 ports, but PNY thumb drives, although they complain they want USB 2.0, work just fine on them.

Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't work and suggestions for a robust fix?

thanx g_k