Restart?

Closed
lonelyHearts Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2008 - Nov 8, 2008 at 06:51 PM
 ehbox - Nov 12, 2008 at 05:05 PM
Hello,
My iBook G4 has been acting strange lately like shutting off at random times for no real reason. Now the last time it shut down, when I go to turn it on it starts up just fine but when I type in my password a dark grey box pops up. It prompts me to restart my computer. I have done so many times and continue to get the same message.
Does anyone know what is going on with my mac?
Thank you for reading
I would really appreicate any answer there is.
(sorry if my spelling sucks hehe)

3 responses

lonelyHearts Posts 2 Registration date Friday November 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2008 1
Nov 9, 2008 at 09:05 PM
Oh sorry No it is os x
I am not exactly sure how to go about reinstalling or it would have been my first idea. I have my disks. I also have a disk for os 9 but idk if that would help.
challengelife Posts 12 Registration date Friday November 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 18, 2009 7
Nov 9, 2008 at 04:30 AM
hello,

have you tried reinstalling your operating system?

i guess its linux on it?
you can get more info on Apple site:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2238.html

This message indicates that an error occurred in the core of the operating system, which is referred to as a kernel panic. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software or, in rare cases, by damaged or incompatible hardware. The most likely cause of the problem is that a system file or folder has been moved, replaced, or damaged.

If you know that you have moved or renamed a Mac OS X system file or folder, then you must reinstall Mac OS X. (It won't work to just replace the specific item.) If you are not aware of any changes to Mac OS X system files or folders, try the following procedures.

To reselect your Mac OS X startup volume:
Restart your computer. Most often the panic is an isolated event that requires no further action.
Restart your computer while holding down the X key. This may force the computer to start up using your Mac OS X system. If it does, release the X key, then open System Preferences and click Startup Disk. Make sure your Mac OS X system is selected.
If you are unable to start up using the X key, restart your computer and immediately press and hold the Option key. Release the Option key when icons start to appear in the center of the screen. Select the Mac OS X system disk, then click the forward arrow to continue starting up.
If the above attempts to reselect your Mac OS X startup volume are unsuccessful, try resetting PRAM. Shut down your computer, then turn on the computer and immediately press and hold Command-Option-P-R until you hear the startup sound for the second time. Open System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and select your Mac OS X volume.

Note: Resetting PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.