How to factory reset Gateway laptop: Windows 10, Windows 7
There are several reasons for needing to reset a laptop, in this article we will focus on reseting a Gateway laptop. The steps in this article may work for other Windows laptops. Read on to find out how to reset your Gateway computer to its factory settings.
What do you need to know before you start?
Always remember to create a backup of your data before resetting your computer to factory settings, no matter the model. Also, don't forget to put your laptop to charge, as the process may take a while.
How do you reset a Gateway computer to factory settings on Windows XP?
For laptops under Windows XP, you can use the Gateway System Recovery:
- Restart your computer.
- When the Gateway logo appears, press the F8 key - you may have to do this several times.
- From there, select Repair your computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
How do you reset a Gateway computer to factory settings on Windows Vista?
This option restarts the computer and restores it to the factory installation of Windows using Gateway Recovery Management.
- 1. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, click All Programs >Gateway > Gateway Recovery Management
- 2. In the Gateway Recovery Management window, click Restore and then Restore system to factory default
- 3. In the Confirm Restoration dialog box, select Yes, and then click Start
Note: You will be prompted to enter your password if a password was set
- 4. In the Confirm Restoration dialog box, click OK
- 5. The computer will restart and Windows will load the files.
- 6. The Please wait a moment screen is displayed
- 7. In the Restore from factory default dialog box, click Next
- 8. In the Destination Disk Information dialog box, click Next
- 9. In the Notice dialog box, click OK
- 10. The hard drive partition will be created
- 11. The factory default installation will be copied to the hard drive
- 12. In the Finished dialog box, click OK
- 13. The Please wait a moment screen will be displayed and then the computer will restart
- 14. Windows will prepare to start for the first time - this may take a few minutes
- 15. Windows will continue setting up the computer before restarting.
- 16. In the Setup Windows screen, click Next
- 17. In the Please read the license terms screen, select 'I accept the license terms for each item and then click Next.
- 18. In the Choose a user name and picture screen, enter the appropriate information and click Next
- 19. In the Type a computer name and choose a desktop background screen, enter the appropriate information and click Next
- 20. In the Help protect Windows automatically screen, click Use recommended settings
- 21. In the Review your time and date settings screen, select the appropriate settings, and then click Next
- 22. In the Select your computer's current location screen, click the appropriate option
- 23. In the Thank You screen, click Start
- 24. Windows checks the computer's performance. Depending on your hardware, this process could take up to 15 minutes to complete
- 25. Windows prepares the desktop
- 26. The Gateway Recovery Management is installed
- 27. The installation is now complete
If this doesn't work, you can try following the same instructions as for Windows XP.
How do you reset a Gateway computer to factory settings on Windows 7 (without password)?
If your computer is under Windows 7, then you can follow the same instructions as for Windows Vista or Windows XP. You can also try these steps:
- Restart your computer.
- Press Alt + F10 when the Gateway logo appears - you may have to do this several times.
- From the Recovery manager select Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults.
- Don't forget that by confirming, you will lose all your data. If you don't want to lose your data, select Restore Operating System and Retain User Data.
- You can now create a new account and start using your device.
How do you reset a Gateway computer to factory settings on Windows 8?
There are many ways that you can factory reset your Gateway laptop under Windows 8 (and Windows 8.1):
System Recovery Tool:
- Go to Start.
- Select All Programs.
- Click Gateway Recovery Center.
- Select System Recovery.
- Start your laptop.
- Press the Shift key.
- Click the Power button. From there, select Start.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Now, choose Reset your PC.
- From there, select Just remove my files. Select Reset.
Windows Safe Mode:
- Restart your computer and press F8 when the Gateway logo appears. You may need to press it several times.
- Next, select Restore computer.
- You can now follow the on-screen instructions.
How do you reset a Gateway computer to factory settings on Windows 10?
You can try the same solutions as for Windows 8.
How do I reset my Gateway laptop without a password?
If you want to reset your Gateway laptop to factory settings without a password, then you can follow the Troubleshoot instructions from the Windows 8 section of the present article.
- How to factory reset a gateway laptop
- How to reset gateway laptop
- How to reset a gateway laptop
- How to type # in laptop > Guide
- How to reset windows 10 password without logging in > Guide
- Samsung factory reset code > Guide
- Gateway laptop won't turn on [solved] > Hardware Forum
- How to factory reset a dell laptop > Guide