Ask a question Report

Conditional formating - apply on more cells [Solved/Closed]

Biljana - Latest answer on Jan 25, 2013 02:30PM
Hello,
i'm not so familiar with conditional formatting, so i would like to ask something:
I'm making a doc where Column A has number values, column B also numbers, of rank positions. Conditional formating of cell in column B would be: if number is greater than number in cell A, colour it Red, and if it is less than number in cell A, colour it green (rank position dropped down). Now, i managed that, but since the document has lots of rows, how do i apply the formating on the other cells in the column? If i make copy/paste to them, formatting doesn't apply on the whole column since it is not a function, but a cell format. And do i have to do the formating every day for every next column ?
Read more 
Answer
+274
moins plus
The "secret" is to make the formula with "relative referencing", hence, if your formula looks like this:
=$B$2>$A$2

then remove the $ sign before the row number, so it will look like this:
=$B2>$A2

With this, you actually don't need to copy the conditional formatting. You can select an entire range before applying it, and insert the formula as if you selected only the first cell at the top. Excel will know to apply the correct formulas to all the other cells in the range (assuming the range is a column).
Or you can apply this formula to the first row, and copy it with the format painter.

You can have a look at the video named "Highlight the entire row based upon a cell value (with a formula)" in the following address:
http://www.microsoft-office-excel.com/conditional-formatting.html

It gives an example of using a similar formula with such "relative referencing".

Good luck!

Parm- Dec 24, 2012 01:01PM
really helpful and saved me hours
Kabir- Dec 26, 2012 01:27PM
thanks so much, your comments were really helpful!
Immi- Dec 27, 2012 08:40AM
Many thanks, I was actually searching for this and this helped me.
Barrett Key- Jan 16, 2013 02:40PM
Computer teacher over here.... I did not know this... good work sir
NKL- Jan 25, 2013 02:30PM
To the person that asked the right question and gave that answer THANK YOU!
Answer
+16
moins plus
Hi,

This is great. However I would like rows highlighted which are within a range. I tried the formula =($G2>0), ($g2<21) but it isn't working. what's the right formula to use?

Thanks

george- Mar 30, 2010 02:20PM
you should try =AND(($G2>0), ($g2<21))
Womi- Sep 7, 2010 09:29AM
Thanks! Just the thing I was looking for! All I did was change the 'and' to 'or' and got the results I needed.
Answer
+9
moins plus
Thanks mate. it was very helpful

Answer
+8
moins plus
Color Row based on value in a Column (#row)

Select all cells (Ctrl+a) (foobared in Excel 2003 hit Ctrl+A twice)
menu: Format, Conditional Formatting, Formula is on drop down box
Condition 1: =$D1<=1.00 [interior Color 35 Light Green]
Condition 2: =$D1<=1.05 [interior Color 36 Light Yellow]
Condition 3: =$D1>1.05 [interior Color 38 Rose]

Since the conditions are checked in order it is frequently unnecessary to have more than one comparison in a condition. For example in Condition 2 above, we do not need to write the condition as
=AND($D1>1.00,=$D1<-1.05)

Answer
+4
moins plus
I need to copy the last 6 of a 17 number and letter Vin: number from col B and past into col F also i need to take the year of the vehicle from col C and paste it into col H and to be placed infront of numbers all ready there. please can some one help

Steve- Oct 2, 2010 06:37AM
To get the last 6 characters of your 17 character VIN number that is stored in column B, put this in column F: =RIGHT(B2,6)
I don't understand "...and letter Vin: number..." please clarify.
If you mean that you want the word "Vin: number" in front of the 6 characters you copied from column B, then type this into column F: ="Vin: number "&RIGHT(B2,6)
If you need a space between "Vin: number and the 6 characters, within the quotes, make sure you place a space after the letter `r' in the word number.
I think that if you want to overwrite the numbers that are already stored in column H, you would need to run VBA. This, if not done correctly might destroy data. You might consider concatenating the year in column C with the numbers that are stored in column H. To do that you can, in a new column, let's say column J, type this: =C2&H2
Steve- Oct 2, 2010 07:21AM
Additional though:

Re: Column H

If the existing numbers in column H are the result of a formula, you can simply modify the formula by placing this in between the "=" sign and the rest of the existing formula: C2&

So if (just an example) the existing formula in column H is =LEFT(B1,3), you would change the formula to =C2& LEFT(B1,3)
Ash- Nov 27, 2012 06:40PM
Hi,

The easiest way is:

Select the first cell which you want to do conditional formatting. Do the condirtional formatting. Then select the cell, go to 'Conditional Formatting' ribbon (below the menu bar), then Manage rule, then edit rule, make the cell free; i.e. delete the $ signs. Hit OK.

Then again selct the first cell which has the original conditional formatting, then click 'Format Painter' (on the menu Ribbon, below the menu bar, with paint brush sign) then pain brush all the other cells where you want to apply the same conditional formatting.
This document entitled « Conditional formating - apply on more cells » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.