Excel formulas

Closed
Juniore - Aug 26, 2010 at 05:58 PM
 Trowa - Aug 31, 2010 at 09:33 AM
Hello,

I would like to ask for help on how to go about writing a formula in Excel.
I have a bank statement that is approx. 2500 to 3000 line items long.
Column A contains the date of the bank transactions.
Column B has the dollar amount of the transactions.
Column C has a long description of the transactions. About 300 to 400 of these transactions contain the words "American Express", "Mastercard" or "Discover" in the description field along with other bank jargon. In other words, those 3 words are not the only text for the description and they are not always in the same exact position in the description. Also, please bear in mind that the 3 words do not appear together on the description field. Each different credit card have their own transactions.

These are all credit card paymentrs we receive. I have to copy the dollar amounts from these credit card transactions and copy them over to column D.

I need help writing a formula that would recognize any of these 3 words (American Express, Mastercard or Discover) in the long description of the transaction and copy the dollar amount to column D. Thank you for your help.

Junior
Related:

1 response

Hi Juniore,

Try this formula in column D and drag it down as far as needed:
IF(ISERROR(VIND.SPEC("American Express",C1)),IF(ISERROR(VIND.SPEC("Mastercard",C1)),IF(ISERROR(VIND.SPEC("Discover",C1)),"",B1),B1),B1)

Best regards,
Trowa
Forgot to translate VIND.SPEC in the function.
It translates as SEARCH.