PC runs ok on 1ram,crashes when 2 fitted

Closed
bareguy - Nov 5, 2010 at 03:11 AM
aakai1056 Posts 142 Registration date Thursday May 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2021 - Nov 5, 2010 at 08:29 AM
Hi,
I have a quad drive Acer Veriton, running windows 7 with 4gb ram. Pc runs ok for ever with one 2gb strip of ram in place. If I change slots it still runs ok.If I fit the 2nd strip of ram, after a short while it gets BSOD and crashes. I have checked both ram strips, also used air cleaner to clean ram slots and heat sinc. After cleaning heat sinc it ran for a few hours then crashed. Acer want to charge me big money to even look at it... Need help please guys......
Related:

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Nov 5, 2010 at 03:51 AM
Hi,

Did your pc come with 4Gb ram or it was upgraded to 4 Gb by you?if so then have you checked the Ram frequency if they both match in case you upgraded?The possible reasons are :

*Frequency match,
*or you system does not support up to 4Gb,please provide additional information with the issue,

Thanks
Pc was as supplied with 4gb, ran without a problem for over a year before it started to crash... found out by elimination process that it wud run with one strip only but crash if both fitted..... any help wud be most welcome.....
Blocked Profile
Nov 5, 2010 at 04:47 AM
Hi,

You have 2 Ram right,name 1 a and second b,so if yyou run only with a is it fine?and if you run only with b is it fine also?you feedback please.

Thanks
The pc was as per the original configuration and has run perfectly well for over a year until recently. I only found that it wud run on one ram strip after I tried various eliminations, including checking drivers and replacing suspect external usb hub.....
Have just rechecked, tried 3 times on each A and B .... result is each time I use B it starts fine... every time I use A pc freezes part way through or just after start up ........... different to what I thought originally.... (I used the same ram strip for all the tests....)
Blocked Profile
Nov 5, 2010 at 07:19 AM
Hi,

Try cleaning the A ram stick with either alcohol or rubber eraser then fix it only in the slot and see the difference ,its still good but if issue is the same then replace it with a new one,

Thanks
aakai1056 Posts 142 Registration date Thursday May 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2021 8,930
Nov 5, 2010 at 08:29 AM
Hello,

I sincely think that one of the RAM stick is out order. Better buy another one.

By the way here are some related tips:
*test RAM reliability
*Choosing your RAM
*Why Windows is not detecting the 4 GB of RAM installed?