Computer posts, beeps, then restarts.

Closed
Eric - Jan 8, 2011 at 04:56 PM
 NoOneSpecial - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Hello, skip to the end for my questions,

I recently was given a used Intel motherboard with a stock cooled Intel Celeron 3.06Ghz CPU, and 1.5GB DDR400 Ram.

I attached this to my IDE HDD in my other computer which is running XP SP3. All of this inside a stock Antec 300.

My problem is that when I start the computer, it posts, I can see it on the monitor, but after it does the memory and I/O checks, instead of starting windows, the screen goes blank, it beeps and then restarts itself.

After it restarted I went to setup and It said my processor was running at around 85C, of course I realized that this is way too hot, so I shut my computer off and checked the processor by removing the heat sink. I found that there are remnants of thermal compound on it, but not nearly enough.

My questions are these,
Does having no thermal paste account for the huge temperature increase?
Will an overheating CPU restart my computer after it posts?
Would reapplying new thermal compound fix my problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Related:

4 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 9, 2011 at 08:59 AM
Hello,

Thermal paste is mandatory. Even if you have removed the heat sink to check the

processor you have to apply a new thermal paste. Remove the old thermal paste

from the processor and from the heat sink, apply some thermal paste in the

middle of the processor and put back the heat sink properly.

Check your RAM also. Even bad RAM will result in having such problems.

[If you have connected a hard disk to a different motherboard (manufacturer

\chipset is different) then you wont be able to boot into the OS. You may require

to repair the OS to boot into the windows as it is connected to an different

motherboard.]

Good Luck
i think its cooling related....if not check whether its booting from hard drive in bios..good luck
Blocked Profile
Jan 11, 2011 at 01:33 PM
Hi,

just reading what you have done.

if im right, are you saying you put a HD from another PC into this motherboard?
if so, the BSOD will be caused by this.

you will need to strip the hard drive of the previous drivers as they're not compatible with the new motherboard.

Paragon hard disk suite can do this but I think its a paid product.

alternatively if you can delete the INF folder from C:\windows (hidden) via a USB converter?

also, thermal paste isnt neccessary but doesnt help with the conduction of heat from the CPU. overheating of the CPU can cause BSOD. though if your CPU was knackered I would imagine the PC wouldnt display a thing.
Most beep failures are BIOS related. This site below is helpful:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm