Incompatibility router and usb adapter

Closed
Netgear router Linksys usb Windows XP won't work! - Jan 9, 2009 at 05:08 PM
 wires and plugs - Jan 9, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Hello, I have a Netgear 3500 router which works fine with my Dell desktop and Windows XP. I purchased a Linksys 100 usb for my Thinkpad (with Windows XP professional) so it can connect. I bought Linksys usb instead of Netgear because the reviews were better. I have verified my Netgear security key by going nto the router. I have entered that key into my laptop. My laptop finds the network but will not connect. Do Netgear and Linksys even work together?
Related:

1 response

wires and plugs
Jan 9, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Yes they are compatible. I have a lynksys router and one lynksys adapter hooked to it and a D-Link adapter. Make sure the router is set to "Both" for the WEP and WPA settings, and in the settings on the lynksys adapter make sure the settings are set to something that is compatible with the netgear router. The key to solving this is making sure the router can accept a connection with the settings of the adapters. My D-Link is a 802.11b adapter connected to an 802.11g router so my settings on the adapter are WPA-PSK for the Network Authentication, TKIP for the Data Encryption. SO the fact that it is a USB adapter is irrelevant its the settings that need to be addressed for it to connect to the router.