Netgear DGN 2000 Lan ports fried?

Closed
tommo898 - May 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - May 24, 2011 at 09:39 AM
Hello,

Ok Ive had a netgear router for about a year, worked fine, real easy to set up, I had my pc and xbox hardwired and various laptops, wii ect wireless. I then went away to uni for 6 months, came home and my xbox live didnt work =s read around and apparently its quite a common problem with the dgn2000 to stop working with live, no explination, just go wireless so no biggy just didnt use live while I was home for a month or so. So Ive come back now for the summer and tried to hardwire my desktop to the router and it picked up the network and even said that I had internet connection but yet I couldn't load and webpages, nothing, not even a timed out or error page just looks like its taking years to load... firstly i thought it was the Pc so after about 4 hours of tinkering I gave up.

I then stumbled upon an article that said its quite common for the dgn2000s lan ports to just basically fry. As all the wireless connections in the house are working fine I thought this could be the reason, so i wired up the usually wireless laptop and again....saying im connected but nothing will load, same problem.

Basically what im trying to ask is does it seem feasable that my ports have fried and also is there anything i can do about this as im probs out of warranty? Am I just gunna have to use my live and desktop wirelessly - or alternatly shell out for a new router?

any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 20, 2011 at 04:44 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1)Right click on "Internet Explorer" icon --->click on "Properties" ---> Click on

"Connections" tab--> Click on LAN settings button. In that window uncheck all

the options, if you notice any option selected--->Click on OK---> Click on OK.

If the problem still exists, go to step 2.

2) Make sure that IP address and DNS server was set to obtain the address

automatically .

Click on Start --> In search bar type ncpa.cpl and press "Enter".

Right click on your Network icon ---> Select "Properties" ---> scroll down

and double click on "Internet Protocol[TCP/IP]" . Make sure that

"Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

options are selected.

3) Click on Start --> In search bar type devmgmt.msc and press "Enter". Type this

command.

ipconfig /all and press enter.

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers

are having addresses.

4) Check your firewall.

Good Luck
Thankyou very much for your help, however none of these have worked. Its odd =S
I don't know if this is significant but it is not picking up the network name either, just network 2 rather than 'netgear', should it?
also if i look at the status of the network the ipv4 connectivity is internet and ipv6 is local? running at 100mbps? significant?

I mean when I try and load an internet page it will just say in the bottom bar, "website found. waiting for reply...."

anymore thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 21, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
1) Is IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers are having addresses ?
2) Try to ping to the router. Check if you are getting any reply or not.
Good Luck
ip adress is coming up as : 192.168.0.5
subnet: 255.255.255.0
defult gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

ping stats:
packets sent: 4, recieved: 4, lost:0
aprox round trip in ms:
minimum: 0ms, Maximum: 0ms, average: 0ms.

any clue? Thanks again.
May 24, 2011 at 09:39 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and download the file
http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/5/0/F5036E5B-A675-441F-AED9-57F9E1E9470F/MicrosoftFixit50199.msi
Double-click on it and follow the instructions.
Good Luck