Windows vista pc wont recognize my hard drive

Closed
Nemo - Jan 25, 2009 at 05:55 AM
 netman1 - Mar 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Hello,
i am havin a problem... my brothers pc got smashed... i rebuilt the pc without a case and have it all together and it comes on when it starts up it says not able to boot from location insert a disc so i insert the original windows vista home edition that was originally on it and it wont take it cause some error... i put my other windows vista premium in it and it loads up and is ready to go but will not locate the hard drive... i tried 2 other hard drives and the same problem occured... it locates the dvd rom drive and floppy disk drive... what do i do
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 25, 2009 at 09:01 PM
does the BIOS find the hard drive? You need to boot into the BIOS ( hit Del or F2 or F12 - whatever your MB requires). The BIOS must see the hard drive for Windows install to also see it. You might have a bad ribbon cable to the drive. If your hard drive is sharing the cable with the optical drive you might have both set to master or slave.
If you are using a SATA drive it is possible that the you need to load a driver for the hard disk. See this link,
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/installing_raid_sata_drivers.htm