Crashed Windows XP..Can I recover files??

Closed
Mishee - Oct 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM
 Anonymous User - Oct 28, 2011 at 01:29 AM
Hello,

My computer crashed a couple weeks ago! It works fine now, except for a scary message when it turns on saying my profiles have been corrupted so it logs me into a temporary profile, which STILL has all of the programs I had installed over the last few years BUT my major concern is everything else is GONE. No more pictures, files, documents, music, etc... I am wondering why my programs were not deleted but my files were. MOST importantly...how, if even possible, can I recover my old files?? I am so upset because I had so much on here. Is there any hope or should I just move on? ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Oct 28, 2011 at 01:29 AM
I think that your PC is xp

Do the steps in order

Let me assume that logging into mishee account makes you to login to a temporary profile

Now Create a test account with admin rights and boot into it.

Now go to run and type

regedit and click ok,navigate to this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Right click on profile list >>>export and save it to the desktop as a.reg,this for backup

Now expand profile list,you should have two type of keys,one is longer one ,other is shorter one

We would care about longer keys which looks like this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1846738013-388775353-565647660-1000

Click on each one and look into the right pane

For xp,you should have a key called

profile image path on the right side which points to
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\mishee

So each longer keys represents each user account,you can find another key pointing to
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\administrator

which is key of administrator account

Now you have to delete the longer key and its bak key this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1846738013-388775353-565647660-1000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1846738013-388775353-565647660-1000.bak

that points to mishee account (corrupted account)

Now go to

C:\Documents and Settings ,you have 3 folders(ignore temp folders)

mishee
administrator
all users

Rename mishee account(corrupted account) to mishee.bak,accept if it asks for permissions

Now boot into mishee account(yes boot into the corrupted account)

Just wait till you get the desktop,now boot back again to test account.

You should see that there are 4 folders in C:\Documents and Settings

mishee
mishee.bak
administrator
all users

Now on the top you have tools-folder options,click on view tab-scroll down
Now select ''show hidden files and uncheck '' hide protected operating system files and click ok

Now open the mishee folder

You should find the ntuser.dat file(dont get confused with ntuser.log1.ntuser.log2 etc)

copy it and paste it in mishee.bak folder,if it asks for replacement ,give ok

Now delete mishee folder(if it asks permissions to delete ,give yes to all) and rename mishee.bak to mishee

Now boot into the mishee account(corrupted account

You should get back your files and you will no longer boot into temporary account.

Yes it looks like a long step but we are doing a simple fix,modifying a corrupted ntser.dat file,thats all