Acer extensa 5235 boots up but then freezes

Closed
dannykoj - May 27, 2012 at 06:03 AM
 dannykoj - May 27, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Hello,

My laptop with windows 7 boots up to desktop but then nothing happens. The pointer still moves about but no programmes will start or open. This is my wifes laptop, she was on line when it froze and had to restart it by holding down the on button, when it started it ran a disk check for errors which took forever that i fell asleep. Have tried it this morning but all it does is boots to desktop then nothing. Please help.

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 27, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and

keep tapping the F8 key)

2) Select the option "Last Known good configuration".

If the problem still exists then follow the step 1 and select the option "Safe

mode". Let me know if you are able to boot into safe mode without any problem.

Good Luck
Thanks for your reply. I can access safe mode and cleaned the hdd (through the system and physically) and ran mcafee antivirus software which detected 3 viruses/malwares ( not sure about that as i am suppose to have real time protection). This did not do the trick but i restored system to the day before the problem and it now works but i fear that the problem will resurface again. Any advice on what i can do to help prevent the problem resurfacing would be appreciated. Thankyou.