No audio device is installed

Closed
kekekorea Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 23, 2014 - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:42 PM
kekekorea Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 23, 2014 - Mar 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM
several months ago in an attempt to speed up my dated dell inspiron 1520 (vista), I uninstalled a series of programs - including a few I didn't recognize and/or didn't deem necessary - from the programs and features list. I think I somehow inadvertently uninstalled my audio driver from this location and as a result, I have not had sound on my computer despite my best efforts to disable, reenable, uninstall, and reinstall various drivers countless times. I still get a little red X over my speaker icon, even though my computer acknowledges that I have an audio driver installed (sigmatel high definition audio codec) and up-to-date, and it refuses to enable audio. my volume mixer simply states that there is no audio device installed. what could be the problem? do I need to do a clean reinstall of my OS at this point? I don't recall any service packs or updates interfering or being updated around this time, and I don't have system restore enabled as it was absorbing a substantial portion of space back when I did use my laptop regularly (I simply neglected to reenable it after I unloaded the rest of my programs; I'd never needed to use it before). it's really getting to be quite frustrating at this point as I've expended a lot of time and energy trying to fix the issue! thanks in advance for your help.
Related:

5 responses

kekekorea Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 23, 2014
Mar 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM
also - and I'm not sure how useful this information is - my laptop refuses to continue updating thru the update manager. it keeps getting stuck on an update for Office XP Service Pack 3. it insists that I need to insert a disc I don't have. the installation begins, gets about halfway through, and never finishes. I think it's been trying to install since either 2012 or 13.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Mar 22, 2014 at 06:14 AM
Hello

Codec is not a sound card driver.

What is your sound card's make and model.

Why would you want to Install Office XP SP3 if you have Vista?
kekekorea Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 21, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 23, 2014
Mar 22, 2014 at 09:46 AM
I don't know, it was a recommended "important" service pack update...I thought an XP update was weird too, and I don't know why my computer decided it was something I should have. and I know nothing about drivers so I'm not sure what I'm looking for here...all I know is that when try to look one up for audio I get pointed in the direction of sigmatel.

as for my sound card make and model, where can I find that info?

http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/inspiron-1520.html#Audio

I downloaded from here under audio - driver. what should I be looking for instead?

I appreciate the help!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Mar 22, 2014 at 05:48 PM
Hello,

The Office update does not seem to be the issue, more so the files you deleted.

The driver you downloaded, although it dates back to 2008 seems the correct one.

What I suggest is that you restore your computer to a date prior to the issue's occurrence. No data will be lost.

Follow the instructions contained in this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Good luck
Mar 22, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Unfortunately as I stated in my post, system restore is disabled and has been long before I encountered this issue, otherwise I'd have given it a try!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 22, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Sorry, yes you did mention it and it escaped my mind.

If the sound is the only issue, I would try the long shot. I would go to the device manager, delete the sound card. Restart the machine and let Vista detect it as new hardware. If necessary, reinstall the driver.

This is my last though for a solution

Good luck
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Is that under sound + video controllers? If so, i have tried uninstalling the device as well. I'm very confused as to why none of the conventional methods of fixing this issue are helping! But thanks for the help anyway.