PC turns on, CPU fan had trouble going and once does, restarts

Closed
Tom - Nov 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Nov 6, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Hello,

I have a pc I have just freshly built. I put the mobo in, the RAM, PSU and connected all the power to it. I attempt to turn it on to do a power test, and the fan on the case and the PSU will spin, but the CPU fan has trouble getting started. After about 5 seconds of it trying, it finally goes, but after about 10 seconds will stop and repeat the process I just explained. Any ideas as to why this might happen?

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 5, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Hi there,

Check the power connectors of the CPU fan. Maybe it is not getting enough power, which may indicate a PSU problem. There is a slight possibility that there is motherboard issue with the power connectors of that fan. Did you build the PC by yourself? If not, contact the reseller. If not, ask assistance from a technician. It is really hard to say where this issue comes from. More thorough examination may be required.

Hope this helps
It was built by me. I don't have any other parts to test with either. I did notice one of the pins on the CPU socket stuck up higher than the rest, ours not bent, just sticks out farther. Could that do it? After inserting the CPU, its no longer like that and looks normal now
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 6, 2014 at 03:00 AM
After inserting the CPU properly, does the issue persist? The CPU should be inserted firmly in the socket. Could you tell me your CPU and motherboard models?