IF functions with dates

Solved/Closed
kev8687 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 24, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 24, 2015 - Sep 24, 2015 at 12:59 AM
kev8687 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 24, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 24, 2015 - Sep 24, 2015 at 02:27 AM
Hi,
I have recently become part of a restaurant management team. Previously they have used excel very basically, just manually inputting every piece of data rather than using formulas.
I'm trying to idiot proof everything so that they don't have to waste so much time anymore.
Right now I am working on a workbook they have that they print out every other week, previously they had to manually change all the dates (on 42 pages). I have it now so that if the workbook is printed on the day before they are needed (Sunday) all they need to do it open it up and print, just using TODAY()+1 and so on

I am trying to an IF function to idiot proof it so if they have to print it on a Monday for whatever reason the dates will be correct. Just a proviso, if the work isn't printed on the Sunday, it absolutely must be printed on the Monday.

I tried today using this function as a test

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY())=1,(TODAY()+1),IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY())=4,(TODAY()),""))

Obviously I would have changed the 4 to a 2 had it worked, however it gave me the following value

Which somehow is equal to 9/23/2015, I have no idea why.

I am trying to show my regional manager that I can make the admin work more efficient, any help would be greatly appreciated

1 response

kev8687 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday September 24, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 24, 2015
Sep 24, 2015 at 02:27 AM
I received a reply on another forum informing me that 42270 is how excel sees the date as a number. I formatted the cell to show the date and it worked.