Upgraded RAM, now computer won't boot

Closed
TheAgent - Apr 12, 2009 at 06:49 PM
 BT33 - Dec 25, 2009 at 09:42 PM
Hello,

I just ordered some RAM for my parents. I got them to print out the installation instructions and install it. They started with 2 x 128 168-pin DIMM SDRAM PC133 cards. The computer can only go to a max of 512MB so I got them 2 cards on eBay, each one is 256 MB 168-pin SDRAM PC133. The problem is that once they removed the old cards and replaced them with the new ones, the computer won't boot. It allows F10 for Setup, if you don't press it it gets "a bunch of squiggly gray lines." They were able to put the old ones back in and everything works fine, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade.

Here is the info from a Crucial.com scan I did via remote connection:

Recommended RAM Guaranteed Compatible:

256MB, 168-pin DIMM, SDRAM, PC133 memory module
CT230102

* Module Size: 256MB
* Package: 168-pin DIMM
* Feature: SDRAM, PC133
* Specs: SDRAM, PC133 - CL=3 - Unbuffered - Non-parity - 133MHz

- 3.3V - 32Meg x 64

Computer Info:
Dell Dimension L Series Desktop/PC
Dell PC133: N
Maximum Memory: 512MB
Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard Memory: 64MB removable
USB Support: 1.x Compliant

And here are the specs for the RAM I ordered for them:

168PIN Memory
133Mhz
3.3 Volt Module
DIMM (DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY 32 X 4)
Non-ECC, Non-Parity
Unbuffered
High quality
Brand new.
It is well tested.
256 MB
PC133 Compliant
168-pin high density memory
Non ECC
Unbuffered
Gold leads
Operating voltage: 3.3V

The RAM I ordered seems to match the required specs... am I missing something?

Thanks a lot if you can provide some insight.
Related:

3 responses

By the way, the new RAM has model number K4S280832A-TC75 (Samsung). Thanks for any help you can provide!
I think the problem is that the memory is high density. My understanding is that the 4600 (and most other non-server Dells) support only low-density memory. Unfortunately this is not addressed in the owner's manual or the service manual. On the Dell forum, there are lots of conflicting posts on the subject. One guy with over 65,000 posts says in one thread that it definitely will work, then says in another that it definitely won't. But there are enough examples on that forum of people for whom high-density did not work (and who listed all the other specs of the RAM they were adding, which agreed with the manual specs) that I wouldn't try high-density in my 4600.
I bought the same memory and am having the same problem? Did you get it fixed?
I put one old in and one new in and it stared up for me. I checked my RAM and it aded the new RAM space. I have an old computer also. Uses the SDRAM instead of the new DDR stuff. I max out at 512 mb also. I now have 384 mb space. I know nothing about computers but I will let this new RAM get broke in and then see if I add the other new one in later that the one just recently broke in will boot up by itself.