How can I tell if the HD is dead? [Solved]

Ask a question shareware46 3Posts Sunday May 8, 2016Registration date May 8, 2016 Last seen - Last answered on May 9, 2016 01:02PM
My God daughter was running a Gateway NV5 when she droped it on the floor. I wont come on now, just says trying to repair the flashes some screen images for a spit second and then grey screen. How can I check the HD?
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Greetings,

I strongly believe that a forum will not be able to diagnose nor help you repair the issue.

When a laptop gets a blow, all kinds of things can get damaged or displaced especially on the motherboard. It could be one or a few parts or circuits. Then again the screen lights or its inverter may also have been damaged.

I truly believe that a qualified technician could help you in the matter that concerns you.

Good luck
shareware46 3Posts Sunday May 8, 2016Registration date May 8, 2016 Last seen - May 8, 2016 08:33PM
I appreciate your answer. I could probably get another one at a hock shop for $150. It would probably cost more than that to repair it. Thanks for the advice.

shareware46
xpcman 16497Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus December 7, 2016 Last seen - May 9, 2016 01:02PM
be sure you have any passwords and that the computer works before you buy.
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
You can remove the hard drive and use a USB drive adapter to try reading it on another computer. If it's a SATA drive you can often connect it directly to an internal SATA port and power cable on a desktop computer.

What is the brand name of the drive? Some manufacturers have diagnostic software that is specific to their brand name drives.

Given the messages I would say there is a 90% chance the drive is damaged.

Good Luck
shareware46 3Posts Sunday May 8, 2016Registration date May 8, 2016 Last seen - May 8, 2016 08:31PM
That was my first thought also. Thank you for the reply. I believe a new one will be as cheap as fixing this one,

shareware46
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?