Dell Latitude E6400 will not boot

Closed
roadtek Posts 1 Registration date Monday July 4, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 4, 2016 - Jul 4, 2016 at 06:01 PM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Jul 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Hello,
The pc was working fine. I copied the old hard drive to a Samsug 250g SSD drive. Then put the drive in and power up the computer. No boot drive showing. Trying this a few times and checking F2 for settings.
I have removed the CD drive and put in a drive caddy and put the SSD drive in the CD slot. The computer see the drive and comes up and running fine. Why will the drive not work in the hard drive location?

Thanks,
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Jul 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Hello roadtek,

Have you set the operation mode of the SATA controller in BIOS to AHCI? If not, set it and try to plug the SSD in the place of the hard drive. What do you mean by “copied” the old drive? Did you make a clonning or it was just fresh install with copy/paste of the data afterwords? Are you sure that the SATA port for the HDD is working properly? Did you test it with another device already – for example, the old hard drive? I also would like to know if you are using the HDD as a secondary drive and does the HDD work when the SSD is inserted on the optical drive's place.

Cheers.