Docker Desktop download in progress
You will be automatically redirected to the homepage in 30 seconds.
Docker Desktop is a game changer when it comes to developing and running apps in multiple environments. It can be used throughout the development cycle to take away repetitive and tedious configuration tasks, and it provides a secure and stable environment to create portable applications.
What is Docker Desktop?
Docker Desktop is a service that provides OS-level virtualization technology and allows users to deliver software in packages called Containers. Basically, Containers are isolated environments that bundle their own libraries, software, and configuration files. They are super useful to package an application in a virtual container that can run on any OS, including Windows, Linux, or macOS.
What are the key features of Docker Desktop?
- File sharing capabilities: File sharing is one of the core features of Docker Desktop, as it makes it easy and secure to share files (source code, media assets, build artifacts, logs, etc.) while communicating between containers and host machines. Also, new containers can reuse existing data.
- Kubernetes friendly: Docker and Kubernetes have grown together and have become a super powerful pair over time. Speaking of Kubernetes, it is really useful but can be a little bit challenging to configure. Thankfully, Docker Desktop provides a local Kubernetes cluster and effortlessly handles all the management stuff.
- Permissions management: As you work with containers, it can become sensitive to understand and manage permissions. Docker Desktop takes care of that layer of complexity as it automatically applies your file mappings while mounting volumes. Also, it updates user and group ownership to fit your needs, protects you against privilege escalation attacks, and more.
- Collaborate: Docker Desktop allows you to leverage Docker Trusted Content, like official images from Docker Verified Publishers. Also, It allows you to seamlessly collaborate with team members and other developers by publishing images to Docker Hub.
- Run simply: You can simplify your development process, deliver multiple applications and make them run on all your environments, like testing, staging, or production. Also, you can deploy apps in dedicated independent containers and in different languages, reducing conflicts between libraries and frameworks.
- Lightweight: Docker containers are pretty lightweight, so you can run several containers on a server or virtual machine simultaneously.
- Launch: Thanks to the simplicity of Docker Compose CLI, you can launch your application with one command locally or on the cloud with AWS ECS and Azure ACI.
- Huge community: Docker community has become incredibly huge over the years and is at the heart of what the service does. No matter what you want to do, Docker Captains will share their insight and expertise to provide support and make everyone progress.
How to use Docker Desktop?
Is it free?
Docker Desktop is free for personal use, small businesses, education, and open-source communities. If you want to get to the next level and scale your business, you can choose one of the monthly or annual plans.
Is it safe?