Caffeine is the solution you must use if you need to prevent your Mac computer from going to sleep or enabling screensavers while performing tasks. It is a game-changer single-purpose solution that is really easy to use.
What is Caffeine?
Caffeine was initially developed and released in 2006 by Tomas Franzén of Lighthead Software. For many years, it stood as one of the most appreciated tools for Mac users. Since 2018, Caffeine has been open-source and has been updated to keep working on more modern Mac computers, while still providing all the settings you need to make it work as you wish.
What are the key features of Caffeine?
- Sleep control: The only purpose of Caffeine is to prevent your computer from hibernating, dimming the screen, or enabling screensavers. It may seem overkill, but it is beneficial as you don't need to tweak your system preferences or modify settings when you just want to watch a long movie or YouTube videos, perform download tasks or lead a video conference.
- Lightweight: It is a single-purpose application that uses so few resources that your computer won't notice it.
- Configurable: Caffeine is not just an on/off solution as it lets you decide whether or not to run it upon startup, but also set up a default duration, or if it should turn itself off after a period of time.
- Catalina and Mojave friendly: Caffeine works with Mojave or Catalina as it has been updated to work in Mojave's improved security and privacy environment.
How to use Caffeine?
- Once downloaded, drag Caffeine into your Applications folder.
- Double-click on it to launch it.
- Caffeine puts a coffee cup icon on the right side of your menu bar. Click the cup to toggle whether Caffeine is active or not.
- A full cup means your Mac won't go to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers. An empty cup means your Mac will sleep normally.
- Right-click the Caffeine icon and go to Preferences to customize the settings depending on your liking.
If you face any issues, you can contact the dedicated support center.
Is it free?
Yes, it is totally free to use.
Is it safe?
Caffeine is a safe and open-source project.
- Mac caffeine
- Backslash on Mac: UK, French, Spanish, AZERTY keyboards > Guide
- The pipe symbol: OR, how to type on Mac > Guide
- Cuphead > Download - Shooters
- WD drive unlock: Mac, software, not working, forgot password > Guide
- How to insert brackets and curly braces on Mac keyboard > Guide