Black screen after Vaio logo, cursor flashes 3 times

Closed
Pete_v Posts 2 Registration date Friday August 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen August 29, 2017 - Updated on Aug 27, 2017 at 04:12 AM
Pete_v Posts 2 Registration date Friday August 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen August 29, 2017 - Aug 29, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Hello,
I have a Sony vgn-fw laptop that went into a black screen. I have read up on this and tried everything I can think of without removing hard drive.
I discovered it in the morning with fan going like crazy. Screen was blank/black, but I could see backlight on the bottom of the screen, but no mouse or any response from the unit no mater what I pressed.
Shut the unit down by holding down power button. When I turned it back on, and vaio logo flashed on the screen, followed by black screen with a cursor that flashed 3-4 times on a top left corner, then it is just a black screen.

I have drained frea power without battery or power cord connected
Shone bright light to see if anything is behind the black screen...Nothing
Connected to HDMI to my tv...Nothing
Restarted with shift+f8...Nothing
Restarted with fn (function)+f2 (brightness)...Nothing
Restarted with shift+f10---took me passed vaio logo, into Windows logo, into "recovery tools are being launched, please wait". Set at that screen over an hour without any change...Nothing
Removed and tested ram individually to see if maybe ran is faulty, or maybe ran slots...Nothing

There is no assist button on my laptop.
Any suggestions?

Related:

1 response

Pete_v Posts 2 Registration date Friday August 25, 2017 Status Member Last seen August 29, 2017
Aug 29, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Update: took laptop to geek squad for a diagnostic. Diagnostic came back with ram and hard drive both failing to respond to tests. Was suggested to get a new laptop, as ddr2 SoDIMM ram is out of date and obsolete and replacing SATA hard drive is troublesome.