Graphics issues

Closed
davido - May 28, 2009 at 03:48 PM
 davido - May 29, 2009 at 03:25 AM
Hello,

I just bught an installed a new nVidia GeForce 8400 GS for my PC running XP on a dual core AMD Athlon X2 3800+ with 3GB RAM. Ever since I have been unable to shift off 640 by 480 pixel resolution (though it seems happy with 32 bit colour) Indeed this is what it managed before I installed any drivers at all! OK, I installed the drivers provided on the CD in the pack and restarted. Still low resolution and every time I change it (either on the nVidia control panel or through display properties) to my screen's native 1280 X 1024 it changes it right back in an instant.

Hence I searched the web for newer drivers and found one, installed restarted etc and still the same. Same goes for the monitor, no new drivers! Device manager seems to think everything is running ok and working properly, direct X seems to be complete and working properly. Really Im just out of ideas if its not the settings and not the drivers and not directX! Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Dave

1 response

King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 16
May 28, 2009 at 04:13 PM
Uninstall your nvidia drivers then your old one (ie integrated drivers) then reinstall nvidia's
Thanks for the quick reply king kong. I just gave that a go, and was at first exceited and surprised to see that I had full resolution with all the drivers removed:-) but with a very poor refresh rate, ie scrolling down involved a ot of obvious redrawing.....only for the problem to come right back when I installed the newest driver from the nvidia site (now the only graphics driver on my computer) So things seem even more confusing with that!

Cheers
Dave
King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 16 > davido
May 28, 2009 at 06:12 PM
Hmmm, trying to think. Sounds like something is conflicting with the Nvidia drivers. Either that or a BIOS setting is off or something. What kind of computer have? That way I can look at your BIOS section of the manual and see if any video settings need to be changed. I hate to suggest this, but try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers while your monitor is hooked up to your nvidia card. Then power off and hook your monitor up to the integrated vga port. (if you have not already do so) and then go to Device Manager and uninstall the video drivers that should now be on it. Then power off, and hook your mon. back up your nvidia and reinstall. Man I swear I had this same problem when I had my 8300GS. It is so much easier sitting in front of a computer trying to troubleshoot sometimes. I hope my last suggestion works.
davido > King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010
May 28, 2009 at 06:19 PM
Its a Dell Dimension C521, if that helps. At the moment Im trying the same process again but this time checking out the registry for any remnants of the old ATI stuff for the card that came with the machine. Ive also noticed that not only am I unable to increase the resolution when the new nvidia card has its driver installed, but I also cannot even lower the colour settings. It seems to be stuck on a given set of parameters
King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 16 > davido
May 28, 2009 at 06:32 PM
Possible problem: Go into your BIOS and find somewhere inside it where it says Primary video and switch it to PEG. (That is what your manual says. It should be on Auto right now, maybe switching it will help)
Davido > King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010
May 28, 2009 at 06:53 PM
Seems for now the regedit thing did the trick. Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Dave