No Boot After Cooldown

Closed
shai - May 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM
King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 - May 28, 2009 at 06:35 PM
Hello, DJ

My dell Dimension 8400 is working fine unless I shut it down and let it cool down. After an 1 hour or so it will not boot. It beeps a bit and if I insist on restarting it, it will blow the fan like a vacuum cleaner. If I keep trying by holding the start button and restarting, I can eventually get it to boot up after which it runs fine -- so far for days --
I am scared that these symptoms are the beginning of the end for this machine.

I have cleaned the machine (it was very dusty) and it seems to work like normal -- All fans are functional.
I reseated the RAM but did not retest the cool-down no boot problem for fear that I would not get it to start at all.

Any advice?
Related:

1 response

King_Kong Posts 89 Registration date Wednesday May 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 16
May 28, 2009 at 06:35 PM
Either one of your sticks of RAM is bad, you've just about burned your cpu up, or your power supply could be failing due to heat and dust. I'd try replacing the power supply first (or at least testing another one in your computer first if you have an extra).