Command prompt and flash drives

Closed
Twon - May 28, 2009 at 04:14 PM
 sciman - Jun 30, 2009 at 09:04 AM
Hello,
Here's the problem. I'm trying to retrieve files from one notebook that doesn't load properly. all i see is the desktop background and that's it. so i start the laptop in safe mode with command prompt to make sure my files are there. they are. now i need to transfer them. but when i plug my flash drive in, the laptop seems not to even acknowledge it. Any suggestions? Ohh umm, it's an XP sp3
Related:

3 responses

hanees Posts 13 Registration date Sunday February 24, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 1, 2009
May 29, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Did you try doing the same thing on another pc?
I did, I tried it on the laptop I regularly use and it works fine. So I assume its because the flash drive i'm using i had never used on the XP computer before. So i was wondering is there any way I could get past that roadblock or is there any other way to pull my files of the system. I was trying to avoid those software I see mentioned all the time, some file retrieval program, all though i doubt it would work in this case anyway. but because i don't have the cds.
Well, I know this thread is a little old, but in case you still need help, or if someone else comes across this thread, you could use a live cd version of linux to get your files. Something like Ubuntu, as it is generally quite easy to use....https://ubuntu.com/

Hope that helps someone,
JM