Unable to power on for more than a few seconds

icethief 1 Posts Monday February 12, 2018Registration date February 12, 2018 Last seen - Feb 12, 2018 at 10:59 PM - Latest reply: Ambucias 51926 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus May 27, 2018 Last seen
- Feb 13, 2018 at 04:21 AM
A few months after purchasing my 17" MSI, I spilled sparkling water into its vents (while powered off). When I attempted to power it on that evening, it would only come on for a few seconds. (Lights and a fan will start and then everything loses power.)

I tried all the usual tricks with no success, including clearing the static charge by holding the power button down without a battery and power source, to no avail. A week later, I discovered by accident that it would power up just fine if I removed all power sources for a couple days and then inserted the battery and the power cord before powering on. Unfortunately, if I allowed the computer to turn off for more than a restart, I would have to repeat this process. A new battery had no effect on the behavior.

It has become a fairly nice "desktop" for about four months. It has had no performance issues, etc.

I returned from a weekend trip a couple weeks ago to find the laptop off. I have tried to repeat the usual process, but either the behavior has gotten worse or my patience is deteriorating and I'm not waiting long enough. It won't power on for more than a few seconds.

Any ideas what's wrong or yet another trick to try? Any guess as to what I should try replacing? Thanks for any feedback!
See more 

Your reply

1 reply

Ambucias 51926 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus May 27, 2018 Last seen - Feb 13, 2018 at 04:21 AM
0
Thank you
Hello

Trying to start your computer just after you spilled water into it was a mistake. You may have created a short and some electronic components may have fried.

We suggest that you take it to a repair shop.
Respond to Ambucias