Small business tracking in Excel

Closed
gwhite83g Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday March 27, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 27, 2018 - Updated on Mar 27, 2018 at 10:27 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Mar 27, 2018 at 12:05 PM
I have not found a small business software that meets my needs, and have created a tabbed spreadsheet. However, it has become a bit cumbersome, and am trying to simplify things. I will try to explain what I would like.

I would like an overall "running total" spreadsheet, with all debits and credits. However, I would also like a tabbed breakdown, based on category. Here's an example of what I envision.. I just need help with the formula. (I own a DJ business).

On my overall spreadsheet, I would put the date, purchase, vendor, price, and type of purchase. If the purchase, for example, was "Equipment", I'd like the formula on the equipment sheet to recognize that, and then auto-populate the data just on that sheet. So I would have a running total of all incoming and outgoing amounts, but then if I wanted to look at equipment only, that data would be auto populated.

If that makes sense, could someone give me an idea how to have excel recognize the text in the "type of purchase" box and then automatically move it to the appropriate tabbed spreadsheet.

I did this stuff for over 20 years in the military, but I'm retired and if you don't use it, you lose it.

Thanks all.
Related:

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:05 PM
Hi Gwhite83g,

Let me see if I understand you.

On your main sheet when you fill in 'Equipment', you want to copy/paste that row to the first available row of the sheet 'Equipment'.

Is this correct?

Do consider the options to (1) post screenshots (using the mountain icon above the message body) or (2) uploading your worbook (carefull with sensitive data) to a free filesharing site and posting back the download link, to better explain what you are trying to achieve.

Best regards,
Trowa