Auto populate weekday from a separate date entry

Closed
feebee1 Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 8, 2018 Status Member Last seen October 8, 2018 - Oct 8, 2018 at 01:16 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Oct 8, 2018 at 11:59 AM
Hello,

I am wanting to do two things:

1. In the first column I want to add in the date, in the second column I want it to automatically insert the weekday which correlates to the date just entered. As I can't seem to autofill the normal validation process because the cells all show a default all the way down the list, even though there is nothing yet entered in the date field.

2. Add to a list from the top which automatically goes down in descending order with each entry, so I am continually using the list from the top.

How do I do these things? Any ideas?
Thanks!
Related:

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Oct 8, 2018 at 11:59 AM
Hi Feebee1,

1. When entering the date in the first column, also enter it in the second column. Format the second column to display day only. Select column, Ctrl+1, on the numbers tab select the bottom option and enter "dddd".

2. Start recording a macro, select the column you want to sort, apply filter (top menu Data), change filter to descending order, remove filter, stop recording.
Adjusting code: Hit Alt+F11 to view the recorded code, copy the code except the first line. Double click the appropriate sheet on the left side, paste your recorded code and put the following lines at the top:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect(Target, Columns(1)) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Change the "1" in the 2nd code line to the column number you applied the autofilter to.
Then place

Let us know if you would like more assistance.

Best regards,
Trowa