Icons changed to Notepad shortcut

Solved/Closed
LeonardPromise Posts 17 Registration date Saturday November 17, 2018 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2019 - Updated on Nov 30, 2018 at 02:38 PM
 Anonymous User - Nov 23, 2018 at 04:28 AM
Hello,

System Configuration: Android / Chrome 50.0.2661.86

My system was attacked by a virus or worm and it made my computer icons look the way it is in the picture above.
I have already scanned it with avast and 360 security which supposedly got rid of the virus but my icons are still like that(in the form of notepad document rather than application shortcuts). I have even tried using the USB fix anti malware app suggested by a member of the group but still no changes
What should I do now?
Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Nov 22, 2018 at 05:18 AM
Right click the icon that is appearing in wrong format. (You need to find out the file location that is wrong.) This will help if all your icons have changed to Notepad. The file location will say either .lnk, .exe, .jpeg and so on. This is called a registry error.

Here's how to fix it.

Click the start button on the bottom left of the computer screen.
Type regedit in the search box.
Click yes if it pops up.
then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Windows
Current Version
Explorer
File Exts
Then, find what extension all your icons are showing up as, probably .txt and double click on it.
Right click User Choice then delete it.
Click yes.
You will need to restart your computer and then all of your icons will be back to normal.

Good luck
LeonardPromise Posts 17 Registration date Saturday November 17, 2018 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2019
Updated on Nov 23, 2018 at 02:00 AM
I owe you a very big THANK YOU. I'm so grateful for your help the problem has been solved. Thank you so much
Anonymous User > LeonardPromise Posts 17 Registration date Saturday November 17, 2018 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2019
Nov 23, 2018 at 04:28 AM
You are welcome, All the pleasure was mine.