All my task bar and desktop icons missing [Solved/Closed]

yakuja 1 Posts Sunday September 28, 2008Registration date September 28, 2008 Last seen - Sep 28, 2008 at 11:10 PM - Latest reply:  Pradeep
- Mar 22, 2018 at 01:12 AM
Hello,

Can anyone help me out with this problem

all my windows desktop icons and task bar dissapears ..
the only thing I can run is pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del and running task manager....
cant help myself when running in safe mode also.
cant restore to earlier check point...

is this some kind of virus or........
need help ASAP
See more 

53 replies

+319
Helpful
I spent 5 day to solve this problem

Ctr + Alt + Delete // File - New Task (run...) // explorer.exe // OK
This will show your desktop icons but not solve the problem
To solve it just do this steps

1- copy explorer.exe from other clean computer (from C:\WINDOWS)
2- in your computer go to C:\WINDOWS
3- show hidden files from (Tools - Folder Options - View - Show hidden files and folders)
4- delete explorer.exe and any other files start with explorer...
5- put the new file (explorer.exe)
6- log off or restart
7- log on

Congratulation your desktop healthy now
Was this answer helpful?  
my problem is, I can't delete the old explorer.exe. It says "Make sure that the disk is not full or is not write-protected" :\ please help.
I was going to do the paste thing but I solve the problem before I could get to that. I went to -New Task- and type in msconfig. This brings up -System Configuration Utility-. From there, you can do a -System Restore- and go back to an earlier time before you had the problem.
I forgot to say thanks. I was freaking out.
thank you very much!! :)
+184
Helpful
hi all I found a nice solution :
1- alt +ctrl + del
new task write : explorer.exe
if it not work ok .
goto to the processes tab and find explorer.exe and press end process
and then go back new task then explorer.exe .

that's all
it works with me
just want to help.
thanks
Briliant: worked for me!
Genius! This worked for me. Thanks sooo much for your post.

But what caused it?? I need to look further.
worked for me tooo
help!!!!! I lost everything and everything in my desktop. I cant even launch my task manager!
Thanks you so much 3<3333
+93
Helpful
I'm using windows 7 64-bit after I restarted my computer all my desktop icons were missing but the task bar was there and everything worked fine.I went to C:/Users/.../desktop/
the files from my desktop were still there but I just couldn't see them.
This is how I fixed it.Hope it will help someone
Go to desktop then press right mouse button , from the menu choose View --> Show Desktop icons
I don't know what changed it because I'm the only one who uses this computer.It worked for me however it wasn't a virus it was some program that changed this I'm certain of it.
+46
Helpful
In task manager select the performance tab, then click File and you will see the Run New task item.
+24
Helpful
Under Task Manager use File Run Explore.exe

Then create a new profile when this is done. Sounds like you had a virus.

Good luck
Sandeep 89 Posts Friday October 10, 2008Registration date July 5, 2012 Last seen - Dec 12, 2008 at 10:34 PM
hey man I liked what you have suggested but it's serious problem regarding companies....so are you sure that after creating new profile problem will solve?
Because I noticed this problem on my company's vise president's laptop, that's why this is serious, I was going to format system.
i'm also sure that he is having virus in system. But creating profile will be far better than formatting.
Reply as soon as possible, I mean really it's a solution, or have you tried it, because if this will not solve the problem then he will shout that why didn't I formatted as it will take time for once only.
Thank you....
Thanks man This Works......

Many Many Thanks......
+18
Helpful
hey if it is windows 7 will it work the same way too?
+17
Helpful
i've moved all my important files to an external device. what should I do now? is there any way I can get rid of this virus?
+14
Helpful
go to the task manager ctrl+alt+dlt
click file run
browse
then find the windows file and open the task folder
and everything will pop right back up.
+12
Helpful
If none of the other solutions work, you can rebuild the desktop. This is the only solution that worked for me.
+11
Helpful
Another thing that you can try is if it boots up wiht just my documents like mine did just type in at the top of my documents a web adress this will boot up internet so you can do some reshearch or run a virus scan... but if your computer is still in the warranty like mine is save yourself the hassle and go and buy yourself a raplacement.
I did that. I was able to get on the internet and got these answers. Thanks for that coment.
+10
Helpful
Have you tried doing this while in Safe Mode?
Apple Girllllll - Feb 10, 2009 at 08:11 AM
+5
Helpful
OMg!

"yaso"

Thank you super much, without you my laptop prob will never be solved!

Thanks!
+4
Helpful
Thanks a whole lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This works!! I'm sooo happpy and grateful for the tip.. Thanks once again..
+4
Helpful
Hi,

Thank you very much...

Now my computer is working fine..

Thanks again for this...

Best of luck!

Rajesh