Memory Card drives appear as removable disks

Closed
JB - Jun 13, 2009 at 07:33 AM
jackmjack Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday November 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 19, 2009 - Nov 19, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Hello,

Hi,

So I own an XPS 420 bought from Dell and my Hard Drive crashed the other day. I got a new one but had to reinstall the Windows Vista operating system etc.

However I noticed that all my memory card reader slots/drives i.e. for the SD Card and other similar cards now show up as if they are a removable disks like a USB Drive.

They used to be labeled correctly according to which memory card it related to and there was a nice picture next to it. The Hard Drive on the other hand correctly shows up as C: Local disk with the correct picture next to it - so no worries here (a problem other people have had).

Not only is this confusing but very annoying and I cant figure out how to change it back. Also I noticed that they show up in "Safely remove hardware" option, all under USB Mass storage device - device components. I haven't plugged in a USB device and these should not come up in that list as its not a portable device let alone not connected via USB!

Any ideas how to get things back to the way they were? I don't want to manually re-label them as that is not really solving the problem.

An expert's help would be appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

jackmjack Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday November 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 19, 2009 1
Nov 19, 2009 at 10:53 AM
how do I rename memory card so windows can read them?
ti.me55 Posts 3 Registration date Friday May 8, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 3, 2009
Jun 13, 2009 at 09:27 AM
hi,

this is quite normal, it is not really a problem.

you will have to rename the memory cards manually so as to be able to recognise them.

check if you get the driver of the card reader.