Creating Graph that updates

Closed
Ryleecone Posts 7 Registration date Monday August 12, 2019 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2019 - Aug 13, 2019 at 02:13 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Sep 21, 2019 at 09:20 PM
Hello,

I am keeping track of how many work orders are being created each month. On my "Completed Sheet" in column F it has the due dates. I would like to figure out how to calculate that column and create how many wokr orders are completed each month and put into a bar graph to represent it. I also would like it placed on a different sheet. Please help me if you can.

Thank you,

System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 75.0.3770.100

2 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Aug 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM
Hello Ryleecone,

Try the following code placed in a standard module and assigned to a button:-

Sub ValuesToGraph()

Dim i As Variant, j As Variant
        Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = Sheets("Completed")
        Dim ws1 As Worksheet: Set ws1 = Sheets("Monthly Graph Completed")
        Dim lr As Long: lr = ws.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

ws.Range("F2:F" & lr).Copy ws.[X2]   '---->Extract the "Due Date" column(F)over to Column X.
        ws.Range("X2", ws.Range("X" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Sort ws.[X2], 1  '---->Sort in month order (Jan-Dec).
        ws.Range("Y2:Y" & lr) = "=TEXT(X2,""MMMM"")" '---->Extract the month names from Column X to Column Y.
        ws.Range("AA2:AA13") = "=COUNTIF(Y:Y,Z2)"  '---->Counts the number of month entries.

'The following extracts the unique month names into Column Z so that duplicates are not included.
j = Application.Transpose(ws.Range("Y2", ws.Range("Y" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)))
        With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
            For Each i In j
               .Item(i) = i
            Next
               ws.Cells(2, 26).Resize(.Count) = Application.Transpose(.Keys) '---->Unique month names are placed in Column Z starting in row2.
        End With

ws1.Range("B2:B13").Value = ws.Range("AA2:AA13").Value '---->The month quantities are placed in Column B of the graph sheet.
ws.Columns("X:AA").Clear '---->The helper columns are cleared.

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

The code uses four helper columns (X:AA) just for an instant in the "Completed" sheet to achieve the desired result.
If your graph has been set up correctly, then, each time the code is run, the graph will update based on the new entries in Column B of the Graph sheet.

I've added some comments in the code above (green font) which will help you to understand what's going on.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Ryleecone Posts 7 Registration date Monday August 12, 2019 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2019
Sep 17, 2019 at 08:41 AM
Thank you, this code is perfect. Is there anyway to make this count for each year as well? Right now it counts everything together, if I change one of the dates to 2020, it will still count it as 2019. If that makes any sense.

Thank you,
Rylee
Ryleecone Posts 7 Registration date Monday August 12, 2019 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2019
Sep 17, 2019 at 09:38 AM
Also, if I was to go back in the previous months that don't have anything in it yet, it doesn't count it as that month, it just pushing everything down a month. I might be doing something wrong.
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Aug 17, 2019 at 10:45 PM
Hello again Ryleecone,

The following amended code would be a better option as it would account for the months not being in order as well:-

Sub ValuesToGraph()

Dim i As Variant, j As Variant, c As Range
        Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = Sheets("Completed")
        Dim ws1 As Worksheet: Set ws1 = Sheets("Monthly Graph Completed")
        Dim lr As Long: lr = ws.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

ws.Range("F2:F" & lr).Copy ws.[X2]   '---->Extract the "Due Date" column(F)over to Column X.
        ws.Range("Y2:Y" & lr) = "=TEXT(X2,""MMMM"")" '---->Extract the month names from Column X to Column Y.
        ws.Range("AA2:AA13") = "=COUNTIF(Y:Y,Z2)"  '---->Counts the number of month entries.

'The following extracts the unique month names into Column Z so that duplicates are not included.
j = Application.Transpose(ws.Range("Y2", ws.Range("Y" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp)))
        With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
            For Each i In j
               .Item(i) = i
            Next
               ws.Cells(2, 26).Resize(.Count) = Application.Transpose(.Keys) '---->Unique month names are placed in Column Z starting in row2.
        End With

'Sending the correct values to B2:B13 of the Graph sheet regardless of the month order in the Completed sheet.
For i = 2 To lr
       For Each c In ws1.Range("A2:A13")
            If c.Value = ws.Cells(i, 26).Value Then
            c.Offset(, 1).Value = ws.Cells(i, 27).Value
            End If
       Next c
Next i

ws.Columns("X:AA").Clear '---->The helper columns are cleared.

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Sep 17, 2019 at 09:18 AM
I don't think this one works, it counts everything as 0.
Sep 21, 2019 at 09:20 PM
Hello Ryleecone,

I've just created a sample of what I assume would be similar to your workbook based on the images that you supplied and the code does exactly what it is supposed to do in this sample.

If you are still having problems then please supply a sample of your workbook so that we can do some testing with it. To supply a sample, upload a replica of your workbook to a free file sharing site such as ge.tt or Drop Box then post the link to your file back here. Make sure that the sample is an exact replica of your actual workbook. If any of your data is sensitive then please use dummy data.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.