Chrome problem with cookies

Solved/Closed
stubbejs - Jan 24, 2020 at 08:29 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14291 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024 - Feb 3, 2020 at 05:45 PM
Chrome seems to be deleting cookies when I exit, even though "Clear cookies and site data when you quit" is not checked in the settings. I tried reinstalling Chrome, but no luck (I cleared cookies and cache before reinstalling).

Symptoms:
It doesn't keep me logged in to sites like outlook, etc.. It worked fine until several weeks ago.
When I go to a site with 2-step login, it doesn't remember I've been there, even though I've checked "Remember me on this device", so I have to do the second step every time.
FYI, if I use IE, it remembers me no problem.

When I look at a site I've been to in Settings, I can see a bunch off cookies. When I exit chrome and come back in, they are no longer there.

Thanks for any help
Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14291 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024 1,891
Jan 24, 2020 at 05:48 PM
Hi,

Open Chrome Settings and go to Advanced.

Under Privacy and security, click Site settings and select Cookies.

Then disable Keep local data only until you quit your browser.
Thanks, but that's one of the first things I tried (I just stated it wrong above), so didn't help.
HelpiOS Posts 14291 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024 1,891 > stubbejs
Jan 26, 2020 at 04:19 PM
In "Site settings", is the Cookies option is turned on? If it is turned on, you'll see Allow sites to save and read cookie data. If not, you'll see Blocked.

If everything is set up correctly in the Chrome settings, check if any programs installed on your PC are set to automatically delete cookies on Chrome. In particular, check your antivirus and cleaning tools.
stubbejs > HelpiOS Posts 14291 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024
Jan 26, 2020 at 06:08 PM
Yes, that's turned on.
My antivirus is Webroot and hasn't changed for years.
I used Ccleaner Browser for a bit, but uninstalled it a while ago. That wasn't when the problem started.
No other new programs have been installed since long before the problem started.
stubbejs > HelpiOS Posts 14291 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024
Jan 27, 2020 at 07:32 AM
BTW, in trying different things/sites, google asks me to save site passwords, even though I just said yes a short while ago on a given site. In settings, save passwords and auto-sign-in are both turned on, and it shows no save passwords.
HelpiOS Posts 14291 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024 1,891 > stubbejs
Jan 28, 2020 at 08:45 AM
Check if Chrome is up to date. Click the 3 vertical dots and go to Help > About Google Chrome. Relaunch it if it has installed a new update.

In Chrome Settings, go to Advanced and then under Reset and clean up, click Clean up computer. This will verify if your computer is infected by a malware or any other malicious program that interferes with Chrome.

Try disabling all the installed extensions on Chrome by going to this address: chrome://extensions

If the problem persists, try resetting the experimental features by going to chrome://flags and clicking Reset all to default.

If all of the above steps didn't fixed the problems with Chrome, perform a complete uninstallation using Revo Uninstaller. When this software has uninstalled Chrome, check the Advanced box, under Scan modes, and then delete all remaining files. Restart your PC and install a new version of Chrome from this link.