Factory reset partitions wrong format for windows reinstall

Closed
Dude_8555 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday April 5, 2020 Status Member Last seen April 5, 2020 - Updated on Apr 5, 2020 at 05:21 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14315 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 26, 2024 - Apr 14, 2020 at 06:54 AM

I was doing a factory reset for an
Dell All In One Inspiron model 3052. I had followed prompts and had installed disc. Then it asked for a second disk.

At that point I knew I was in trouble, There is was no second disc. The person I am helping " my aged mother" has no idea where it is. Even after going through .....

I downloaded OS recovery tool from Dell that allowed me to create an USB file to reinstall windows.

I was concerned the 1/2 installed system might be n issue. I normally smile when I am right, not this time.

The second installation it would not let me install on either of the partition saying " .. the selected disc has a MAR partition table. On eft systems, Windows can only be installed to a GPT...."

It gives several options, deleting ,reformattting and creating new. Please see screenshot.

I am not sure if should reformat and loose what is in partition(s), or delete and create new or ????

I would be greatly appreciated if someone could respond with the right answer.

If any more information is needed please just ask.

Thank You.
Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14315 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 26, 2024 1,891
Apr 14, 2020 at 06:54 AM
Hi,

You need to convert MBR to GPT to be able to install Windows. Use diskpart to convert the disk to GPT. The following method will erase all the data on the hard disk, therefore, your data will not be recoverable.

Turn off your PC and boot it from the USB that contains the Windows installation. Next, in Windows Setup, press the Shift + F10 keys at the same time.

In Command Prompt, Enter the following commands and press "Enter" after entering each command:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk x (replace the letter x by the number referring to "Partition 1").
  • clean
  • convert gpt
  • exit

Close Command Prompt and continue the Windows installation. When asked "Which type of installation do you want?", choose Custom. Select the disk you've formatted and click Next to install Windows on that disk.