Adding GPU in laptop in the dvd reader space

Closed
arthurolado Posts 17 Registration date Monday March 30, 2020 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2020 - Updated on Apr 9, 2020 at 03:26 AM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Apr 13, 2020 at 02:11 AM
Hi,
I know the question has already been asked, but i don't understand the answers i found. Basically, i have got an laptop, with integrated gpu, the Intel HD Graphics. I wanna do some gaming but it is obviously unable to do anything good, and it is not removable.

So what i'd like to do is simply plug a gpu instead of my dvd reader. In order to do this, i use this thing.

With it, i can plug my gpu instead of my wifi card and the alimentation can be done through the original SATA of the dvd reader. I do not see what could be wrong ? Maybe the SATA port does not allow enough electrical power ? What if i take a small gpu ?

What do you think?
Related:

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Apr 13, 2020 at 02:11 AM
Hello,

I did read this:

You can't convert SATA to PCI-E. Primarily because SATA ports have a controller that is on the PCI-E bus, and can't bypass it. If there is a wireless network card in the laptop you can use that PCI-E mini slot, but there is absolutely no way to use a SATA port.

That said, the adapter you've bought costs 8€... I guess it can't hurt to try

Let me know how you get on!