Can no longer send email via Yahoo smtp server

Closed
cecrume - Apr 8, 2020 at 04:23 PM
 cecrume - Apr 11, 2020 at 01:43 PM
Hello,

I have been receiving & sending email using Outlook Express on an old Windows XP machine (no money, stuck with this).

I can still receive emails with no problems, but replying and sending a new email fails.

About 4 days ago I get this error when trying to reply to an email:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'xxx@yahoo', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I changed the real email name to "xxx". I can log into the Yahoo mail site via a browser and all works fine.

I have checked and double-checked my settings in Outlook Express, and even deleted the account and re-created it in Outlook Express.

Have searched and searched Google -- no joy (just articles on how to set it up -- which I have done).

Can't figure out to resolve the issue. Due to Covid-19 there is no Yahoo staff.

And... as I said all has been working just fine for years.

Can anyone help?
Related:

2 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Apr 9, 2020 at 03:22 AM
Hello, on this site I found the following solution.

0x800CCC0F, Connection dropped (DUN connection disconnected)

Solution: This problem is often modem related. The first step is to:
  • Check your Outlook Express settings, making sure that the POP3 and SMTP servers are set correctly, and that your full user name and password are correct.

NOTE: Watch out for SMTP spelt as STMP, and that commas are not there in place of periods. If this is OK, your Modem could be configured improperly. You will need to contact your modem manufacturer for details on resolving any issues with your modem.
  • If you're still having problems, it could be that Outlook Express is itself corrupt. You will need to contact Microsoft for instructions on how to reinstall Outlook Express on your computer.
  • If you have Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall and you will need to modify their configuration as advised by Norton
  • If it is still not working properly, contact technical support.

Let me know how you get on!
Hello David;

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the link you post is for a completely different error... "host could not be found". The error I am getting is "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection".

Outlook Express is not corrupt because it is working for other email accounts (zoomtown and gmail -- both send & receive).

and... contacting technical support at Yahoo is not currently possible due to Covid-19 (no staff).

Thanks again.
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Apr 10, 2020 at 02:27 AM
Hello, on the webpage I linked to you, there are multiple solutions for the numerous error codes. If you type your error code: 0x800CCC0F with CTRL F (find), you will find the relevant section). The solution I posted is the recommended one for your error code.

Your error code: 0x800CCC0F, Connection dropped (DUN connection disconnected)

As implied in the error name, it could be that your connection to the server has been interrupted.

Have you checked if the POP3 and SMTP settings haven't been altered.

If that doesn't fix your issue, you will need to contact Yahoo support (as and when possible), and prioritise the mail accounts that work for now.

Regards
Hello David;

I just checked sending email via Outlook Express, and... It works A-OK today.

I have not changed anything since I last posted a reply to you.