WD My Passport Ultra Files Vanish

Closed
manesh - Jun 1, 2020 at 11:22 AM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Jun 2, 2020 at 03:06 AM
Hello,

I recently got a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB with a USB-C Type connect.

I backed up all the data from my old external drive to the new one and continued working with it fine.

I tried to access a folder from the recent accessed folders list which comes on the file explorer of windows but got an error that the folder could not be found and was either moved or deleted.

So I went to the location where the flder was meant to be to find that it was completely missing.

Similarly an excel file that I worked on and then saved with a different filename had also vanished. I can see the file in the recent documents list when I launch excel, but the file cant be opened as it is just not on the drive anymore.

I tried using WD Data Lifeguard and the scan says theres nothing wrong with the drive. I also ran a couple of data recovery applications but it cannot find the missing files. The Excel files are really important, and I really need to know what has happened.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Manesh

System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 83.0.4103.61
Related:

2 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Updated on Jun 2, 2020 at 02:49 AM
Hello, is the file not now on your new HD?

It seems normal that you will get a message saying the file location has been moved (seeing as it has, from one HD to another).

Regards

Hello David,

Sorry I may have misled you with my initial post. Everything was transferred fine and I have been using my new WD HD for a few weeks now.
The files have vanished after being saved on the new HD. They never existed on the old one (that would have been the saving grace if they were).

I see from other forums this seems to be an issue with WD drives.

I just wanted to share, incase somebody experienced the same and managed to get their files back.
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Jun 2, 2020 at 03:06 AM
Thank you for the update.

There may be some recovery software that can help you find the file.

If the problem seems to be wide spread across WD drives, I recommend you try contacting the WD support centre and seeing if they can't offer you an explanation.

Regards