Windows 7 - HDDs not recognised.

Closed
Hogga4 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday June 13, 2020 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2020 - Jun 13, 2020 at 10:02 AM
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 - Jun 22, 2020 at 10:14 PM
I have seen a few answers to this problem and each one involves formatting the HDD. I have two external HDDs with lots of data on them. I really don't want to format these. Is there any way I can get at my data please? Thanks.
Related:

4 responses

Manoj_7565 Posts 14 Registration date Saturday May 30, 2020 Status Member Last seen June 30, 2020
Jun 15, 2020 at 05:16 AM
Your new hard drive is disabled in BIOS, the OS won't be able to detect it and it won't show up in Windows. Hence, checking whether your hard drive is disabled in BIOS is also necessary. Restart your computer and press the BIOS key (depending on the computer you use) until you enter BIOS
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 7
Jun 15, 2020 at 05:52 AM
Does it show up under "Device Manager" -> under disk drives? If the disk shows, what is the state of the drive? Does it show the correct storage space?
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 7
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:14 PM
You can make it clear why the HDD is not recognized by doing some basic checks: https://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
leescotti52 Posts 4 Registration date Monday November 18, 2019 Status Member Last seen November 17, 2020 2
Jun 15, 2020 at 06:01 AM
Hi, use the disk management tool and check your drive is showing there or not. In the disk management window, a list of all the connected external drives and the existing ones along with their complete details will be visible.

Secondly, if the drive is not showing up in the disk management tool then first check the USB port. Try to plug your targeted drive in another USB port on your computer. You can also update the driver sometimes outdated drive makes problem.

In case the drive is partitioned, but still, you can’t access the drive from another device, then probably it is not formatted as NTFS. At times many devices can’t read the Windows NTFS file system. To fix this problem format the drive with the FAT32 files system.

Last but not least, you can format the drive, but as you said you have a lot of data in your external hard drive. Try some data recovery software like Recuva or Stella Data Recovery Professional, these utilities are able to recover deleted data formatted hard drive data, lost partition data efficiently. Probably it may help you to retrieve data. Or you may reach to your nearest professional data recovery service centers. Thanks
Hogga4 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday June 13, 2020 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2020
Jun 16, 2020 at 08:01 AM
These suggestions sound as if at least one of them will solve my problem but I'm afraid I don't know enough about setup etc. to follow them. If I put down what I see in Disk Management, could someone make sens of that for me. Will the other helpers be able to see this, or will I have to send it to each one?
This is what I see -
Disk Drives
ATA Hitachi HUA72303 SCSI Disk Device
ATA ST32000542AS SCSI Disk Device
HP ENVY 5640 Series USB Device (Obviously my printer)
LITEON UITRA USB Device

DVD/CD-ROM drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 SCSI CdRom Device
Hp DVD A DA16AAL SCSI CdRom Device

Universal Serial Bus ccontrollers
USB Composite Device
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Mass Storage Device
I'm afraid I couldn't make much sens of the BIOS setup either.

Thanks so much for this help.