Restoring backup messages from a broken iphone

Closed
wjimmy Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 9, 2020 Status Member Last seen August 9, 2020 - Aug 9, 2020 at 03:13 AM
MikeCro Posts 2 Registration date Thursday August 27, 2020 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2020 - Aug 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM
Hi,,

My iPhone was damaged to the point of not working anymore and will be replaced by the insurance, but this might take 1-2 weeks.
I have backups in iCloud.
FOR ME THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: I have important whatsapp messages that I want to retrieve.
I am planning to only connect to my Whatsapp number once I have the new replacement iPhone and use the restore functionality with the latest backup of my broken iPhone.
I am using a temporary android phone, until I get the replacement and I did not associate Whatsapp with my number on this phone, because I think I will not get my messages back.
In the meantime, I am not receiving WhatsApp messages from important people, we also use it a lot at work, this has been already happening for a week and maybe another one or two more.

Do you know another way I can get my messages back without waiting for an iPhone and running the backup restore?

Thanks
Related:

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14297 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024 1,891
Aug 9, 2020 at 10:20 AM
Hi,

You can only restore the last WhatsApp backup saved on iCloud for the iPhone. To restore the backup on your Android phone, you must have a backup on Google Drive, as you won't be able to restore the backup from iCloud to your Android phone.
wjimmy Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 9, 2020 Status Member Last seen August 9, 2020
Aug 9, 2020 at 05:43 PM
What if I activate Whatsapp on my temporary Android and later when I receive my iphone replacement I restore my iphone with a backup, will I be able to have all the messages back? And will I lose all the new messages during temporary android?
HelpiOS Posts 14297 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024 1,891
Aug 9, 2020 at 06:07 PM
Activating WhatsApp on your Android with the same phone number may cancel it on your iPhone. It is only possible to use WhatsApp with one phone number on one device. Therefore, I advise you to wait until you get your iPhone replacement to activate your WhatsApp account.
MikeCro Posts 2 Registration date Thursday August 27, 2020 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2020
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM
Yes. You will lose the new chat messages on android unless using a 3rd party whatsapp transfer software for help.