Third party app to extract from local chat backup?

Solved/Closed
Onlyme - Dec 10, 2021 at 04:43 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 - Dec 14, 2021 at 06:43 AM
I have a Samsung Tab A to which I need to extract Whatsapp backups that were previously made from this tablet itself. I have copied the relevant files to the Databases and Backups folders under Whatsapp, but when I install Whatsapp, it keeps looking on Google.
Related:

4 responses

I finally got it working but I had ignored the part where I had to change the file name because I could not find a file with the name format, msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. It was a totally different name format but I finally chagned it to msgstore.db.crypt12. That worked!! Thanks to all.
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Dec 14, 2021 at 06:43 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm glad to see that your issue is solved!
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Dec 11, 2021 at 09:38 AM
Hi,

A third party app is not necessary to restore a WhatsApp backup from your internal storage. You just need to rename the file name of the backup that you want to restore.

Rename msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. Reinstall WhatsApp and then it should let you to restore your local backup.
Thank you, yes, I have known that, but I do not have any files in that name format. This is what I have in Backups, and exactly the same in Databases.

chatsettingsbackup.db.crypt15
commerce_backup.db.crypt15
statusranking.db.crypt1
stickers.db.crypt15
wallpaper.bkup.crypt13
wallpaper.bkup.crypt15
wallpapers.backup.crypt13
wallpapers.backup.crypt15

Okay, I am going try and change the name to that try tomorrow. Will let you know.
Okay, I have decided to rename the files, but I have another problem.

I have been trying to force a restore from a local backup and I guess I tried too many times, and now. though it keeps promising to allow me to get a SMS after a certain number of hours, when I get to those hours, it keeps extending the time repeatedly and indefinitely. This is annoying and frustrating. I really need to restore my chats. Please help. Thanks.
Dec 13, 2021 at 04:53 AM
As the WhatsApp verification wait time keeps increasing, check if you're using the correct date and time and try enabling the auto date and time.

If this doesn't work, a workaround is to change the time manually so that the wait time will be reduced. In case it keeps increasing, reinstall WhatsApp.

Another solution is to ask WhatsApp to give you the verification code by call.

Regarding the files you've in the backup folders, try looking for a file named "msgstore", it is normally stored in the "Databases" folder. Use the search feature if you can't find it.