Hotmail - Do they know I read their message?

Closed
Lybertyne Posts 1 Registration date Monday December 20, 2021 Status Member Last seen December 20, 2021 - Dec 20, 2021 at 12:28 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 - Dec 27, 2021 at 01:11 PM
Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to ask.

A while back an old friend sent me an email, from their hotmail address to my hotmail address. They apparently sent the email on their iPhone, as it was stated at the end of their email, and I read the email on my laptop. I didn't respond but now wish to make contact. Can they know that I read their email? I don't think you can with normal hotmail but I was wondering if there is the possibility of something on their iPhone that would let them know. I receive dozens of emails each day so I'm hoping I can just say I must have missed it.

Any assistance is warmly appreciated.

Lyb.
Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Dec 27, 2021 at 01:11 PM
Hi,

Hotmail and the Mail app of the iPhone don't have a built-in read receipt option, so luckily your friend don't know that you've read their message. However, we can't be sure at 100%!

They may also use a different messaging app on their iPhone that includes a read receipt with the message... But as you can see the note "Sent from my iPhone", so I think it's more likely that your friend use the Mail app.

Good luck