ParticularCase:retrieve messages from whatsapp/icloud backup

Closed
Leomjj Posts 3 Registration date Thursday December 15, 2022 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2022 - Dec 15, 2022 at 08:10 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 - Dec 24, 2022 at 05:34 PM

Hi there

I have found this forum and I hope someone will be able to help me with a very particular case whitout losing my data. 

Back on August 19th 2020 I have accidentally deleted the entire chat I had with my dad and as soon as it happened, I have disabled the daily automatic backup that whatsapp was doing on my phone (I have iphone xs). So doing this, I should have safeguarded the backup from being replaced by the new one where my dad's data disappeared. Now, I would like to retrieve my dad's chat from this icloud backup and transfer all the messages, pictures video and so on, into whatsapp without losing all the messages and data I have received from August 19th 2020 up to today (including my dad's messages that I have received from that day). Do you think this is possible at all?

Thank you for your help and let me know if you need more info. If this can help, the backup has a total dimension of 52GB :|

Windows / Edge 108.0.1462.42

5 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 1,891
Dec 16, 2022 at 04:16 AM

Hi,

If the backup you have contains those deleted messages, you will be able to retrieve them by reinstalling WhatsApp and restoring that backup.

Unfortunately, messages you received after the date of the backup will be lost - if you back up them, your previous backup will be erased. As a workaround, you can export your chats via email to save a copy of your discussions.

To do so, open a chat and tap the profile picture of your contact. Select Export Chat > Attach Media > Mail, then send the email to yourself. You can send up to 10,000 latest messages (40,000 messages without including media).

Your chats will be attached in a .txt file and media as attachments.

Good luck

Leomjj Posts 3 Registration date Thursday December 15, 2022 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2022
Dec 19, 2022 at 04:48 AM

Hi there

thanks for the reply on this. Well, the back up is still there in the cloud but I was looking for a way to retrieve the messages (even with third party software) without losing everything that come after that date. Isn't there a way to download the backup file I have made on August 2020 and work on that file? Is this the only way in order to download that backup, to re-install whatsapp and so losing all the messages that came after August 2020? 

If I install whatsapp on a different phone and access it retrieving the old backup, what happens to whatsapp on my actual mobile where the data is actually inside that memory? 

Sorry for the multiple emails and thanks for your help

HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 1,891
Dec 21, 2022 at 02:05 PM

Hi,

If you activate your WhatsApp account on another phone, it will automatically log out of your main phone and the data created after August 2020 will not be recoverable, because you don't have a backup of it.

To maybe have a chance to access your old chats without losing your current ones by restoring your backup, I found Dr. Phone (see Part 2 of this article for the steps to access your WhatsApp backup on iCloud). You can save the data on your computer then.

Hope that helps.

Leomjj Posts 3 Registration date Thursday December 15, 2022 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2022
Dec 23, 2022 at 01:03 PM

Hi there

mamy thanks for your help. I will try to look into this with pleasure! 

One question: if I log into whatsapp from a new phone and I retrieve the backup and meanwhile I keep the old phone in air mode, I should still be able to access whatsapp without being logged out and perhaps use Dr. Fone to extract all the new messages from August 2020 up to today, correct? and these messages am I able to add to the new phone/whatsapp at this point? or I can only manage in my windows? 

Thanks again for your help and reply, I truly appreciated it. Merry Christmas!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 24, 2022 at 05:34 PM

Hi,

I'm afraid that your old messages (from iCloud) will be overwritten once you'll restore the new ones to your phone if you do so, but if you only save them on your PC, that should be good normally... However, there's no guarantee that you won't encounter an issue with the method you suggest.

Unfortunately, Dr. Fone isn't free, like any other similar software, and the trial version may have some limitations. To avoid any risk of data loss, I recommend you to keep your current messages on your phone, and try extracting your iCloud data to your PC.

Best regards and merry Christmas!