Unable to get WiFi with D-link router in Dell Inspiron N5040

Solved/Closed
babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 - Updated on Jan 12, 2023 at 08:18 AM
babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 - Jan 30, 2023 at 03:46 PM

Hello,

In my Dell Inspiron N5040, I am unable to get wifi. I can easily get broadband but not wifi.
I use a D-Link router. 

I tried many hacks mentioned on various sites but could not succeed.  

In Windows Mobility Center, it is always "Wireless off". "Turn wireless on" is greyed out.  Clicking on "Launch" in radio control operations does not work. And neither does clicking on "Turn on" for "Touchpad Off" work.

The ONLY thing that works when I click on it is "Turn on" in "Battery Status". I can easily get internet with broadband. But I want wifi. How should I connect to wifi with my D-link router? 

Will doing a factory reset work? After doing that, will clicking on "Turn wireless on" work? 

Android / Chrome 109.0.0.0

Related:

2 responses

babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 2
Jan 30, 2023 at 03:46 PM

Thank you. I did a factory reset and upgraded to Windows 10 (earlier it was Windows 7 Ultimate). Now, I am able to get Wifi.

thomas32_9996 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 25, 2022 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2023 3
Updated on Jan 30, 2023 at 05:56 AM

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Restart both the router and the laptop.
  2. Update the wifi drivers on your laptop.
  3. Disable and re-enable the wifi adapter in Device Manager.
  4. Make sure the wifi switch on your laptop is turned on (if your laptop has one).
  5. Reset the network settings on your laptop to default.
  6. Try to connect to a different wifi network to see if the issue is specific to your D-Link router.

If the above steps don't work, you could try a factory reset. However, keep in mind that doing a factory reset will erase all data on your laptop and restore it to its original state. Make sure to backup any important data before proceeding with a factory reset.