Question about wifi range

Closed
NCMau - Jan 17, 2023 at 05:09 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14297 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024 - Jan 18, 2023 at 12:23 PM

Hello,

I use an Apple Air Port router which is pretty old but It covers my 1800 sq ft okay. I would like to extend the range to my shop which is in a separate building from the house. Distance from router to shop computer would be approx.150 ft going through some walls. I read about wifi extenders with some have a range of 9000+ sq. ft. Then I read reviews which are not that positive.

I just like to know what would be a good solution for me. Should I take a chance well rated wifi extender?

Macintosh / Safari 16.2

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14297 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 16, 2024 1,891
Jan 18, 2023 at 12:23 PM

Hi,

Extending your WiFi outside to another building using an extender may not be the best idea. The WiFi signal will be unusable or at least extremely weak if it encounter any obstacle between the two buildings like walls or trees, and even other devices may interfere with the WiFi signal.

The best way to have a reliable network and avoid interferences is to extend your WiFi signal using an ethernet cable. You can then connect that cable directly to your computer or another router in your shop. Unfortunately, this solution may require additional cost to set it up.

Good luck