ITX motherboard lights on but no cpu spin

Closed
mashpotato - Feb 2, 2023 at 10:36 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14306 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 18, 2024 - Feb 2, 2023 at 05:51 PM

Hello,

First time poster here. I have an Asrock X570 ITX phantom gaming board that I don't know for sure if it works. I've tried to test the board using minimal resources so much so not to accidentally fry other components.

I've first tried attaching only the 24pin and cpu connector and tested if the cpn fan will spin being connected to the fan header. Fan does not spin. Later I learned this method can create false negative - some boards just don't spin using such limited components. 

Then I tried adding a cpu to the test components. Fan still didn't spin and cpu didn't get hot either. Note I never connected the board to any monitor yet as the cpu does not come with an iGPU. On the other hand, the RGB lights on the board as well as the lights on my mouse (connected to one of the USB port) do light up from first attempt, even before me jump start the board (They only need me to switch on the PSU). 

At this stage, does it mean the board is most likely fried and shorted on the circuit to CPU? If so, I am wondering why the lights can get on still? If not, why is the fan not spinning yet? 

Many thanks. 

Windows / Chrome 109.0.0.0

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14306 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 18, 2024 1,891
Feb 2, 2023 at 05:10 PM

Hello and welcome to CCM!

If you already tried connecting the fan to the different headers, you should test your motherboard with another power supply unit. It is possible that the current one is not providing enough power.

Thank you for the reply. This is the second brand new PSU I’ve used on this board and I doubt it’s faulty in any form. 

HelpiOS Posts 14306 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 18, 2024 1,891
Feb 2, 2023 at 05:51 PM

In addition to the fan and CPU, try inserting the RAM sticks.