Locked out - Phone swap = Google Authenticator lost my 2FA

StuckJim - May 9, 2023 at 12:50 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 - May 12, 2023 at 08:39 AM

Hello,

Deleted and reinstalled Instagram on my iPhone but didn't appreciate that a phone swap 6 months ago meant Google Authenticator lost my Insta 2FA.  Lost my back up code screenshot.

Trying to get help from Instagram is impossible - I'm just going around in circles with help page FAQs and my scenario doesn't appear to be "Frequently Asked", which I find hard to believe, I'm no Luddite with tech but hadn't realised that Google Auth didn't cloud sync or similar.  Many will fall down this rabbit hole I'd say.

Anyone got any idea how I can access an Instagram help human and come up with a way to prove my identity and re-access my account?

And no my posts didn't have my face in so the facial rec trick to get back in fails.

It's not the end of the World but it is very frustrating.

Cheers

Jim

Windows / Chrome 112.0.0.0

Related:

2 responses

StuckJim Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday May 9, 2023 Status Member Last seen May 10, 2023
Updated on May 12, 2023 at 08:40 AM

Update: about 6 months late for me but today Google updated the authenticator app today and now it backs up to your google account

still can’t access my instagram thou

HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 1,891
May 12, 2023 at 08:39 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you can't access your Instagram account due to the 2-factor authentication. Unfortunately, a lot of people are in the same situation and account recovery may be difficult due to this extra security step.

I didn't find any specific method in the Help Center to recover an account associated to an authenticator app. However, I found some steps for hacked accounts - it seems that there is a method to confirm your identity if you request a code from Instagram.

Therefore, I suggest you try following these methods.

Hope that will help.

Good luck