Why did Chrome save a month of data when activity is off?

Solved
Kopptherock - May 12, 2023 at 10:51 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14295 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 14, 2024 - May 14, 2023 at 07:38 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know why Google Chrome saved a month of my search history when I already had My Activity turned off? I noticed this when I downloaded my data from Takeout. I find this to be weird and concerning. I have multiple Chrome accounts, all of which have My Activity turned off and only this particular account is affected. So much for having control of your data. Did someone within Google (or outside) request specific data about me?

Seems like an oddly specific time frame as well. Why a month? Has anyone experienced something similar?

Macintosh / Firefox 112.0

Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14295 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 14, 2024 1,891
May 14, 2023 at 07:38 AM

Hi,

Turning off "Web & App Activity" will prevent future activity from being saved, but this will not delete the activity that have been saved before you turn it off.

You can manually delete the activity from the My Activity page.

If you turn on "Web & App Activity", but you don't want to save your activity on Chrome, you can turn off Include Chrome history and activity from sites, apps, and devices that use Google services