Not to make Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) work

babu7 Posts 29 Registration date Friday October 13, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 23, 2023 - May 23, 2023 at 08:00 PM
 Babu7 - Jun 22, 2023 at 07:18 PM

I am unable to convert acsm files into PDF or epub. Earlier,my Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 used to work very well and I could easily  download and convert any acsm file into PDF or epub. Lately it started "not responding". Therefore, I uninstalled the ADE 3.0 and installed ADE 4.5.11. 

Each time I click on an acsm file, I first get "Setup has detected an existing version of Adobe Digital Editions. Would you like to repair the existing installation?" After clicking "Yes", I get "Please review the licence agreement before installing Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.11. If you accept all terms of the agreement, click the check box below. Click Next to continue." After I do that, NOTHING happens. No PDF or epub file is downloaded on  Adobe Digital Editions. 

I tried all the methods possible. I erased permission through registry editor by deleting "Adept" folder and then re-authorising permission in ADE. Still unable to download any acsm file!  I uninstalled and then re-installed the older version 3.0 in a different folder. After that, when I clicked on an acsm file, the SAME thing got repeated,  "Setup has detected an existing version of Adobe Digital Editions. Would you like to repair the existing installation?" and then  "Please review the licence agreement before installing Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.11. If you accept all terms of the agreement, click the check box below. Click Next to continue." I did that and the result was the same. I was just unable to download ANY acsm file on Adobe Digital Editions. 

I renamed the "My Digital Editions" folder in Documents. It still didn't work and I am still unable to convert any acsm file to either PDF or epub.

This happened with four different versions of Adobe Digital Editions 2.0,  3.0, 4.0,  4.5.10 and 4.5.11. None of it worked.

I deleted ALL the old acsm files from the CloudSync folder which is in the Adobe Digital Editions folder which in turn is in Documents folder in C drive. Even this did not work.

I had recently updated my Adobe Acrobat Reader (32 bit). I have Windows 8.1. 

Kindly suggest something that would make Adobe Digital Editions work on my laptop which is Toshiba Satellite C850 B883.

Related:

2 responses

ravida_1351 Posts 57 Registration date Thursday March 23, 2023 Status Member Last seen July 2, 2023 3
May 24, 2023 at 06:32 AM

It appears like Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) isn't functioning correctly on your laptop. All of the ADE versions you've tried—2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 4.5.10, and 4.5.11—have failed to meet your needs. A repair notice and a licence agreement are displayed when you click an acsm file, but nothing further happens after that.

You've tried a variety of fixes to resolve the problem. You used the registry editor to remove the "Adept" folder, and you changed the permissions in ADE, but the issue persisted. You also tried removing ADE 3.0 and reinstalling it in a separate location, but you were unsuccessful and kept getting the same repair notification and licence agreement. The "My Digital Editions" folder in the Documents folder was also renamed to 

however that was also ineffective. Even after removing all of the outdated acsm files from the CloudSync folder, ADE failed to function.

You should specify that you just updated Adobe Acrobat Reader and that your Toshiba Satellite C850 B883 laptop runs Windows 8.1.

Given all the actions you have previously taken, it is obvious that the ADE problem you are experiencing is a serious one. Alternative programmes for converting acsm files to PDF or epub formats can be useful at this stage. These conversions can be handled by various e-book management systems, such Calibre or Bluefire Reader. You may test them out to determine whether they satisfy your demands.

Thank you for your kind response, Ravida Marcos. 

I tried Bluefire Reader but it doesn't seem to be an alternative to ADE. Whenever I try to open an acsm file with it, I get a popup saying "this is not an epub or PDF file". 

If I first have to convert the acsm file to PDF or epub and then use Bluefire, what use is it? I took Bluefire only for the purpose of converting acsm files to epub or PDF, didn't I? 

I tried Thorium Reader too. I never managed to convert any acsm file to PDF or epub with it.

Isn't there ANY alternative to Adobe Digital Edition (ADE)?