Audio recording fails to exceed 30 minutes of recording.

LittleO - Jun 2, 2023 at 08:18 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14319 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 - Jun 3, 2023 at 10:03 AM

Hi,

When I record using the audio record function, after 30 exact minutes, it refuses to continue and stops recording. I would like to know if this is a) intentional as others I know have gone for longer, b) if it is possible to fix and c) why it has been doing this.

Whenever the time hits 30 minutes that I’ve recorded it’s as if I’ve filled up some storage limit, except on other devices and people I know they don’t have this problem.

thanks in advance 

iPhone / Safari 16.4

3 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14319 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 1,888
Jun 3, 2023 at 07:08 AM

Hi,

You should try to free up some space on your phone. Uninstall unused apps, delete old downloads, photos and documents that you no longer need. Clear also the system cache from Settings > Storage > Internal storage > Cached data > Ok.

Hope this helps.

I have 100 or so GB left in my device storage, wondering why it still always limits to 30 minutes. Don’t know how to clear system cached data on iPhone iOS 16. It as if there is a weird limit to storage used per recording but I have no setting for it.  

HelpiOS Posts 14319 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 29, 2024 1,888
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:03 AM

Hi,

To clear the cache on an iPhone, you simply need to restart it. You can also clear your browsing data by going to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

As you've at least 100 GB available on your iPhone, we can conclude that the issue is not related to the storage space. Note that you can record a voice update (Status) up to 30 seconds maximum, so make sure to use the feature in your chat - you can press and hold the microphone button, then slide your finger upwards to record your voice message.

If you're using the feature correctly, it may be possible that there's an interference with your screen and your phone case - if you're using one. Try removing it and see if this helps.

Check that WhatsApp is allowed to work in background in Settings > General > Background App Refresh. Try also turning off Raise to Wake in Settings > Display & Brightness and try increasing the length of time in Auto-Lock. If Low Power Mode is activated, disable it in Settings > Battery.

If none of the above suggested helped you, then try updating WhatsApp and your iPhone to the latest version, or reinstall WhatsApp completely. Before uninstalling the app, back up your chats in WhatsApp > Settings > Chat Backup > Back Up Now.

If you still can't record a voice message more than 30 minutes length, as a workaround, you can record your message using the voice recorder app of your iPhone, then send the audio file on WhatsApp.

Hope that helps!

Good luck