Wired and wireless networking

Closed
asust3k - Jun 24, 2008 at 03:50 PM
 Shashank - Jun 25, 2008 at 01:24 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody here could lend some advice. Myself and two flatmates are trying to set up a network to play C&C3-KW. They're using laptops and I have a desktop. They both have wireless, I do not.

By using an ethernet cable I'm able to play 1v1 against either of them. What we're trying to do is set up a network where all three of us can access.

We have no router or hub or internet connection, but want to know if it's possible to create a network using only what we have. The theory is to have one of the laptops act as a server to which the other two of us can connect to, but none of us are sure how we'd do this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-asust3k
Related:

1 response

hello,
i think you can do it without purchasing anything. connect both of your laptops using wifi ad-hoc connection and connect your desktop with one of them using a crossover ethernet cable. on that laptop with both wifi and ethernet connection, open network connections and rightclick on the local area connection and click on bridge connection. make a bridge connection. now assign ip address 192.168.1.1 on the bridge connection, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 on the other two connections of the laptop, 192.168.1.4 on the second laptop and 192.168.1.5 on the desktop. finally try pinging 192.162.1.4 from your desktop if you are lucky enough you will get the reply. the laptop having the bridge connection will be the server for the game.
i never tried it yet but i am sure that if configured correctly it will work. send me email if you need any help.
bye.
Shashank Singh
think_different56@yahoo.co.in