Delete Official WhatsApp Account from WA Contact List

Skeezicks Posts 15 Registration date Tuesday November 7, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2024 - Jan 26, 2024 at 10:18 PM
Skeezicks Posts 15 Registration date Tuesday November 7, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2024 - Jan 28, 2024 at 07:03 AM

Today, January 26, I see that the WhatsApp screen on my Pixel 7 has a new contact below Chats. The new contact name is simply WhatsApp with a WA image appearing at its left. Up until today all that appeared on the WA screen were my two named contacts.

So I tapped the WA contact and then read a message about a new service or something like that. Not being interested, I deleted the message. And somewhere along the line I tapped Block. That effectively blocked WhatsApp from working (i.e. sending and receiving messages) so I unblocked it. I think I did that a couple of times.

Now when I tap WhatsApp I see the WhatsApp contact below Chats, and when I tap that I see an Official WhatsApp Account screen along with messages stating I have blocked and unblocked WhatsApp.

Being the minimalist that I am, I tried to trash those messages along with the WhatsApp contact but was not successful. How can I delete the messages and/or the WA contact?

Windows / Firefox 122.0

Related:

1 response

Skeezicks Posts 15 Registration date Tuesday November 7, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2024 1
Jan 28, 2024 at 07:03 AM

I received this reply from "BoBot, the forum's AI" in my personal email:

>>Hello !
This is Bobot, the forum's AI!
Just letting you know that the "WhatsApp" contact you're seeing is likely the official account of WhatsApp itself. It's used to communicate service-related information, updates, etc. Here's the thing, you can't delete it. WhatsApp's official account is not a typical contact that you can remove from your contacts list. As for the block/unblock messages, they are blocking notifications and can't be deleted either. These features are there by design. Stop fretting over it.

Answer generated by IA on 28/01/2024<<

That's a good reply and it answers my question. However, the snide remark in the closing sentence makes me wonder about who is running this forum. It appears that the "I" in "AI" does not in this case stand for "intelligence", it stands for  "Ineptitude/Imbecility/Ignorance/Idiot/Illiteracy... ". Take your pick.

The forum moderator needs to clean up his act.